BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:53 am    

I just got a new Garmin Vista HCx. My crew bought it for me after we returned from our bareboat in late June. My old Garmin is now about 100 feet down between Norman and Peter Islands (lanyard broke off the back of the unit.) Anyway, couple of questions:
-this unit uses a micro SD card for memory. How much internal memory does this unit have, meaning how many waypoints, track info, etc. can I keep on the unit without having a card in it?
-I have the Mapsource Bluecharts for my old unit (maps on a CD.) Can I use these maps on my new GPS? I assume I have to load the maps onto a micro SD card in order to use them on my new Garmin. Can I also save track info, etc. onto the same card that has the maps on them?

Thanks.
BOYD
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 am    

The Vista HCx can store 1000 waypoints, and up to 20 tracks with a total of 10,000 track points in internal memory. However, it requires a microSD card for storing maps. Waypoints and track info are not stored on the SD card.

They don't say so, but I have discovered that the largest microSD card that it can use is 2GB. A 2 gig card costs about 10 bucks now.

The older Bluecharts version will work with your new HCx.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:25 am    

Thanks for the info Walker. Exactly what I needed. I think you read my TTOL trip report too. We enjoyed your 2 geocaches on Anegada. This has become a new hobby for me now. Alot of fun. Had some trouble on a couple of caches I tried to find using my TomTom (before I got my new Garmin Vista.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use