BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Mooring availability Anegada post Irma?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swegnson
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Note Mooring availability Anegada post Irma?

We plan to be there the 1st week in February. I recently heard the story of folk arriving in Anegada in January, pre-Irma, not finding a mooring and having to sail back to wherever (they chose Trellis Bay).
My questions are - what are folks seeing for crowds post Irma, is there a best time to arrive in order to snag a mooring, and is there any way to reserve a mooring?
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:21 pm    

The status of the moorings is about the same as pre-Irma. It is probably more crowded than pre-Irma because Anegada is basically fully recovered and there is a lack of supply in other popular locations.

Can't imagine why anyone would sail back if a mooring wasn't available. Anegada probably has some of the easiest anchoring in all of the BVI and there is still lots of good space not taken by mooring balls.

There are 4 balls in Anegada that can be reserved thru Boatyball.com.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm    

I have to say that if someone sailed back because there were no empty moorings at Setting Point, then they are simply not qualified to be chartering a boat. Period.

If you cannot anchor at Setting Point, you cannot anchor, and you are therefore not a sailor.
BaardJ
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:43 pm    

We were there on Mon, Jan 7. I was surprised to count 50 boats moored or anchored at Setting Point by that evening since this is typically one of the slowest days of the week given that most charterers start on the weekend and don't get to Anegada until midweek.

As mentioned, there is plenty of space to anchor in excellent holding. Several of the mooring balls are set too close together and (from personal experience) if the wind dies you may find boats swinging into one another.[/ref]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use