BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Pre-charter checklist

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Note Pre-charter checklist

Our typical charters are 3-days, 2-nights from Kemah, which Walker knows is hardly "chartering". Therefore, there's not of pre-charter checking occurring.

With the help of you and other sites on the internet I put together this pre-charter checklist.

What am I missing or really don't need?

Exterior Walkaround
Obvious above water damage
Obvious deck level damage

Rigging/Deck
Boat Hook
Forestay taut
Spreaders taut
Backstay taut
Mast/cleats secure
Windlass/Breaker
Test (6-8' down/up)
Rode/Chain (marked?)
Anchor (weight)
Spare anchor?
Furling lines/drum
Sheets
Dock lines
Furling lines/drum
Emergency tiller
Wind scoops
Fuel fill location
Water fill location
Fender storage location
Fenders (#?)
BBQ Grill
Shore power cable
Shore power plug location

Misc
Stereo
TV
Cell phone
Snorkeling gear
Wifi

Galley
Faucets
Bilge pumps
Water heater
Propane location
Propange level
Gas shutoffs
Fire extinguishers
Flares
Binoculars
Flashlight
Freshwater pumps
Stove procedures/working
Oven procedures/working
Fridge procedures/switches
Cool?
Freezer procedures/swithces
Cold?
Other Appliances
Dishes (inventory)
Utensil (inventory)
Dish towels (#?)
1 roll paper towels
Clothespins
Cleaning tools
Broom
Dust pan
Deck brush
Mop
Nav tools (dividers,compass, etc.)

Electrical
Breakers
Ligths
Interior
Nav
Inverter (breaker)
Alternator(s)
DC outlets
AC outlets
AC amp load meter
Battery state meter
Battery charge rate meter
Battery charging procedure

Engine
Oil check
Coolant check
Transmission check
Belts
Manual shutoff
Intake strainer
Tools
Spare Oil
Spare Transmission fluid
Spare coolant

Cockpit
Wheel (port/starboard) smooth
Depth log
Speep log
VHF
Compass Error Chart
Winches smooth
Winch handles (2)
Start Engine
Smooth
Water flow
Transmission
Forward
Reverse
Mainsail (Unfurl/furl)
Genoa (unfurl/furl)
Cockpit cushions
Throw ring

Cabin
Key
Linens (2) per cabin
Towels (4) per cabin
Adequate Pillows
Blankets
Storage
PFDs
Tool Kit
Seacocks
Locations/Operations
Manual bilge pump

Water
Level
Capacity
Gauge
Fill Location
Key
Tank switching procedure
Pumps
Bow Head/Shower
Faucets
Shower Sump
Test Head fully
1 full roll paper
Aft Head/Shower
Faucets
Shower Sump
Test Head fully
1 full roll paper
Breakers
Deck shower

Fuel
Level
Capacity
Gauge
Deckplate Key(s)

Air Conditioning/Generator
Thermostat procedure/location
AC breaker
Generator breaker
Generator fuel cutoff
Generator oil level

Dingy
Fuel Level
Anchor
Oil
Cable/Lock
Oars
Painter
Air Pump
Bailing bucket
Kill line
Starts
Shifts forward
Shifts reverse
Tilt
Water flow

Paperwork
Boat Documentation
Curising permits
National Park Permits
Charts
Guides
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 am    

Generally you should get an impeller kit for both engine and generator.

A set of wooden plugs that fit the various hoses and through-hulls is also a good thing to have.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 am    

Twanger - Noted (but I hope I never need them!)
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 am    

I've used both over the years! yikes

Last charter we had a frozen through hull fitting (frozen only 20% open) feeding the AC units. They kept overheating.

We cut the hose, and then next to the thru-hull we hose-clamped over a wooden plug, because of course we couldn't shut the fitting off.

Next we re-routed the hose to another through-hull that was working (for the stbd head) - viola - AC functional again.

We had to flush the head in that hull using a gallon jug of salt-water for the rest of the trip, but at least we had AC!
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 pm    

Here is a copy of my check list:

Dinghy
Fuel Level
Oil
Start
Spit water
Forward
Reverse
Tilt
Wrist Set
Safety Line
Anchor
Air pump
Air Pressure
Cable/lock
Oars
Painter
Bailing Bucket

Rigging

Winch handles #

Standing rigging
Head Stay
Back Stay
Shrouds
Spreader
Top lift
Boom Vang

Halyards/Sheets tied off
Main Sail
Halyard
Sheet
Reef points
how

Fore Sail
Halyard
Sheets
Sail/tails
count
repair kit

Windlass
handle #

Deck
Boat hook
Cockpit cushions #
Water
key
filled
Fuel
key
filled
Fenders #
Furling lines
Count

Drum

anchor windless electric
reset
Manual
Chain
marked
Spare
Windless
Controls
reset
Manual

Manual Bilge
How works

Dock lines
Count
need min 4
Throw Ring
Emergency Tiller
Wind Scoops
Engine
Oil
extra
Coolant
extra
Transmission
extra
works

Belts correct ?
extra
Manuel cutoff

Tools
inventory

Raw Water filter

Fuel
gauges
level
Intake Strainer

Water Systems/Heads
Tanks
Switching
count

Pumps
count
Sumps
count

Head
Switches

Pumps

Holding Tank
Switches

Breakers
Main
panel

Level gauges

Deck Shower
Cutoff

Faucets
Bilge pumps float?
count
water heater
water level
# of gallons

Thru Hulls
count

Cabin
Keys
lock
Lines
# of sets
pillows
Towels
Count
Storage

PFD's
Count
First Aid Kit

Electrical
Breaker Panel

Alternator
Charge meter

12V dc outlets
count

110 VAC outlet
count
AC amp load meter

Battery start on
Fluid level
charge level

lights
work

Shore power cables

Galley
Propane locker

Gas cutoffs

Fresh water Pump
Refrigeration
Switches
Condition
drain
Appliances
(test) Stove
Oven

Dishes/Utensils
Inventory

Safety Equipment
Fire Extinguisher
Flares
Bucket/Brush

Navigation/Instruments
GPS

Depth log
calibrate
Wind indicator

Speed log

Depth gauge position
bottom of keel?

Radio location
how works

Cell phone

Stereo

Radar cone

Auto helm

Documentation
Boat

Cruising permits

Charts

Problem sheet

Weather
double check

check with staff

procedure for call in

radio frequencies

I have this in a spread sheet and check it off as I go.

Kent
mthomas
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:13 pm    

could you attach your spread sheet?
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:38 pm    

Don't see a way to do an attachment. Send me a PM with your email and I will email it to you

Kent
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:24 am    

impellers are not cheap and boat specific. Spending an extra $100 on something you probably will have no use for, is kind of a waste. do most charter guests even know how to change an impeller. I have heard people who call chase boats for the easiest self fixes.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:40 am    

We changed out an impeller on a generator a few years back.
It was nice to have it available on-board.
That said, it's the only one we've changed out in 30 years, so they must not fail very often.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:06 am    

We have used 2 in the last 4 years. The first time the boat was on the hard for 4 months and dried up, burned up on start up, my bad. Took me 3 hours to get the pieces out of the hoses leading to the heat exchanger, what a PIA. We now moisturize the impeller on start up.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:18 am    

Yikes! That's a bummer.

I'm getting too old and heavy to be climbing around in small spaces, trying to hold my weight on unforgiving fiberglass with the same arm that's got the screwdriver in it. These jobs are best suited to midget contortionists with a degree in Diesel mechanics. Very Happy

Ugh.

The impeller we changed happened to be in a generator which was located down in a large cockpit locker where you could only see the bolt heads with a hand-held mirror. Of course we also had to pull off the hose to the get the pieces out of the grating in front of the heat exchanger.

It's great training for owning boat someday though. hairy Or maybe an activity to convince you not to buy one. rofl
sailonly7
Link to this postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Note pre charter check list

Excellent list and great additions as well

We have our own bound check list, and it is very similar. And , we do take a couple hours or more to thoroughly go thru our on personal check list and pre cruise inspection.

Maybe amplifying a bit....bare boat and sailing club pre check inspections

1. We check out the reefing system and it the wind is strong, we tuck in a reef or even double reef before leaving the docks.

2 Otherwise, we slack off all reefing lines at the dock, so that they will not be tugging down the leach reefing cringle and the leach of the main being pulled down toward the boom .

3. We also check the luff reefing system, aries hook, dedicated reefing lines, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jib Sheet blocks or fairleads. We set them for the observed weather conditions and wind strength and point of sail . Now with the roller snarlers and not familiar with the bare boat vessel, we estimate a proper sheet block setting for the large jib, or if strong winds, push em up forward for a 110% lapper. We can make very minor changes for sail shape after we are underway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. All port lights and hatches dogged or closed. We can slide the companion way top hatch closed if the weather picks up and the dodger is not keeping spray or rain out. . At that time, we advise all below that the companion way overhead hatch is closed...watch your heads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Dink line secured and dink in proper position of exiting the docks. Then once clear of the dock and fairway, walk the dink back to the stern and secure it with a proper cleat hitch, and back that up with bowline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6, Additional PFD secured to the stern pulpit , in addition to the MOB hoseshoe and pole. The PFD tied with a quick release slip knot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What we also do, is on our type written pre cruise check list, is note where all of the inventory is stowed. Helps us remember, and also helps out the passengers and crew when they are looking for something.....like the wine opener.....or extra line to rig a preventer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoroughly acquaint crew and passengers with

* Galley stove operation, and changing LNG or whatever, type of tanks. Best to let the skipper do the latter .

* Show them where the life jackets are located, and how to put them on, and MOB procedures, and how not to go over board in the first place.

* Train at least one other person on emergencies, and VHF procedures, and how the VHF works. Including high power output.

There is a lot going on aboard a boat, and on a monohull sailing vessel, we train the FNG's on how to sail and crew. Make them part of the sailing experience ( if the wish ).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the others on board and teaching them proper galley stove and stove fuel tank procedures.

This person had been thru our sailing club training program which included systems during regular lessons, plus a sepaerate 3 hour systems and handling emergency class on board.

I did not know this particular member since he had sailed on the 40 plus hours of lessons with other instructors. He had progressed thru is coastal sailing and catalina island certifications.

He and his family, total two couples booked bare boat charter on a brand new moorings 42 in the BVI.

What could go wrong.......

They were moored or anchored in a peaceful harbor, and it was getting toward dinner time.

They had the bbq going, and the brother in law of the bare boat skipper was on board getting things all ready for their meal. The skipper and two ladies were swimming around the boat and cooling down , having a fun time .

The BIL, has the bbq going , but also needed the galley stove operating, to cook rice or what ever.

* He opens the valve to the stove fuel tank that is in the aft cockpit area.

* He goes below to open the valve on the stove burner

* He tries to light the burner but it will not light

* Surmises that the tank is empty, so he goes back up topside to change the line to the spare tank that is next to the original tank that he was using.

* He has little training by the skipper, and did not listen to the staff systems briefer.

* He is a big guy, and yet he cannot get the original tank valve to turn, so he takes a wrench to the valve ( remember REVERSE THREADS ON STOVE FUEL TANKs. Using all of his manly strength breaks the whole top of the valve fitting the original tank which was still actually full.

* The gas stove fuel comes screaming out, and rises . Remember what was on the stern. Yep, the flaming bbq.

* The bimini catches on fire, the original tank was actually still full. He did not give the fuel in the long line time to get from the original tank to the galley stove. Just air was coming out, and he thought it was empty.

* kaboom the second tank explodes, and blows this guy off the boat, the boat catches on fire and burns to the water line. Brand new mooring beneteau...destroyed.

I never learned the extent or of any injuries to the BIL, but all this comes down to skippers responsibilty. That is why I will not let anyone but myself handle any stove fuel line changes.

The list submitted by the original poster is outstanding, and that is why it takes such a long time for us to go thru our personal pre cruise checks. And, we pay very close attention to the staff systems briefer, and also if we have found any descrepancies that might need to be acted upon before we depart.

Thanks to Kenneth and the other posters....this is a great and important thread

Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use