BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Channel Entrance Marker Buoys

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capnronrico
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Note Channel Entrance Marker Buoys

Walker,

What is the status of the buoys marking the entrance to the mooring field? Have the missing buoys been replaced? Thanks.
BaardJ
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:39 am    

As of Friday, December 1st, the inner green can was still missing. It's position looked to be reasonably well marked on my Navionics chart so I made my turn to/from Setting Point using this information.
capnronrico
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:08 am    

Thanks.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am    

Walker: Any update on this?
sailonly7
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Note approach and depths at Anegada after irma

We are planning on sailing the BVI again in may of 2019.....will be trip # 17.

ANAGEDA :We heard that the approach nav aids had been moved, and that the depths are now 5 ft or so.

Too shallow for the Jeanneau 36i, that Erica and I bare boat out of Conch Charters, Road Harbor.

Last year, 2107, we sailed to Anegada, and in the anchorage our depth sounder read ZERO .

We have a 6.8 foot draft.

Wondering if a Anegada the bottom sands had shifted, changed and built up due to Irma.

Same for White Bay, at Jost Van Dyke . We used to moor in front of Ivans, and had about a one foot or so clearance from the bottom of the keel to the sand. Snorkeled and visually checked it out.

Mahalo for any scoops

Denny and Erica
BaardJ
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:57 am    

The inner green can at Anegada was still missing as of Feb-25. With 6'8" draft you should be able to make it to the outer mooring field but probably safer to anchor just south of it making sure you keep at least a foot beneath the keel. Walker's chart clearly shows the 4', 6', 8' and beyond contours, and even the small 5' spot within the 8' contour just SSW of the mooring field.

I had a Beneteau 473 with ~6'8" draft on a mooring in front of Ivan''s some years ago. Woke up in the middle of the night as the keel was bouncing on the bottom at low tide. Fortunately the seas were calm and I managed to pull up tight on the mooring ball to get off the shallow spot. Could have been much more serious if any swell had moved in.
sailonly7
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:45 pm    

Beard,

Thank you very much

We absolutely loved Anegada..... it might be a pretty close fit, and not our vessel, and would be responsible for any grounding.

Erica mentioned we might pass on Anegada with the Jeanneau 36, sail the rest of the BVI, and then take a ferry over to Anegada and stay ashore for a few days. Lobster dinners, beach bars, beaches and snorkeling, and good people....

Appreciate your reply

Denny and Erica
Sandbar22
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Note Anagada Approach

Any updates as of the spring of 2018 for markers and channel depth? Thanks
Sandbar22
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:28 am    

I agree. We are only 31 feet but still have a 6 foot draft and will be in the islands in June 2018. This sounds a little tight.
Sandbar22
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 am    

Any Anagada Pilots want to bring a 6 foot draft in?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm    

When will you be here?
tothedogs
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am    

We will be heading down late next week and spending the following week on charter. Are there any recent updates as to the status of the channel markers? Is the innermost green still missing?

Thanks in advance.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:21 pm    

Innermost green is on extended vacation. Otherwise, all OK.
tothedogs
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am    

Thanks Walker,

Are you on island the week of July 1?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use