BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Conch Mountain

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philthepilot
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Note Conch Mountain

Hey Walker, we've been to Anegada several times while chartering, but never been over to the conch mountain. We are going to be back over there in April of 18 and was looking into trying a trip to the south east side of the island this time. If we rented a jeep from Dean, could we get close enough by driving then hike the rest of the way, or does it all need to be done by water in a dingy?

Thanks
Phil
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:40 pm    

I won't say that it is an impossible hike, but I can't do it. I tried many years ago. You can drive east from the village, but the road (if you can call it so - that's a stretch) ends well before the east end. To get to the east end, you have to cross a couple of ponds that are like quicksand. I sank up to my waist and could not get across the first one.

By boat (skiff or dinghy) is the only practical way to get there.
philthepilot
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 pm    

Thanks Walker, well I don't think I'll be able to talk everyone into walking through quicksand to get there so we might try a slow dingy ride over there.

Thanks again
Phil
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm    

If you go by dinghy, be careful for the last mile or so toward the east end. The shallow flat runs out pretty far out, and you can easily get stuck, even in a dinghy.

Either go in very close to shore along the mangroves, or stay about a half mile out.
philthepilot
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 pm    

OK thanks again. We'll take it easy and watch our depth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use