BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
First-time boating in BVI

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:  First-time boating in BVI

Hi folks,

I am new to this great site. We are heading to VG North Sound for a week in late April (me, wife and 4 kids ages 6 to 12), this time as landlubbers staying on terra firma. We plan to rent a powerboat (our older kids are sailors, but not mom and dad) for the stay and do day trips to several islands. We did a few days of boating around Great Exuma a couple of years ago and the kids absolutely loved it.

I am looking for guidance on how far we can expect to go, typical sea conditions, recommendations for rental companies, - basically a gut check. We own a few small boats (12' - 26') and do a lot of boating in season around Cape Cod, Vineyard, etc. Where we are the typical day is 2-3 ft swells, so I often need to cruise at no more than 20 kntos in our 22-footer to keep the clan from banging around too much. Generally speaking, should we expect much larger ground swells in the BVI in April?

We would like to be able to visit as far as Norman and possibly JVD. Is that ambitious for a day trip? As far as the equipment, I was planning on looking for a 26' to 30' center console with twins. I will have a Garmin handheld with the correct bluecharts, handheld VHF and paper charts (which I need to purchase - any recommendations - Imray?).

I appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks for a great site with lots of useful information for the first-timer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use