BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
An 8 wgt and a 7' spinning outfit

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject:  An 8 wgt and a 7' spinning outfit

Hi Walker, I have really enjoyed reading your forums. I am heading back to Virgin Gorda in April. My last trip was for my honeymoon 5 years ago, and we can't wait to get back!

We will be in Leverick again, I had a blast throwing to Tarpon with a spinning rod then and will try again. I could not find something that they liked to follow however. Any suggestions? They are feeding on such small fry, it was tricky matching the hatch. Also I will be renting a boat from Leverick watersports a couple of days do I need a license to fish from one of those whalers? Have any places in the north sound that you would suggest I hit, or do I just look for spraying bait and diving birds?

Thanks!!
Bob
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:20 pm    

The most effective bait that we have found for tarpon on Anegada is the Berkley Saltwater Powerbait Swimming Pogy in the 3" size. The pilchard color seems to be the best for tarpon - as it really does match the hatch pretty well.

Don't sweat a fishing license for tossing baits from shore or from a whaler.

I haven't fished the north sound area, but I would think that the area just north of Saba rock would be good. Also, the shoreline around Gun Creek looks like it is worth a try.

The fact is - there are fish just about everywhere.

My number 1 tip for shoreline fishing if you don't spot birds working - look for white rocks. They are white because they are covered with bird shit. The birds hang out where there are fish...
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:07 pm    

Hi Walker I can only find the prerigged 4" lures. Do they make a prerigged 3"?

That is Tarpon candy huh? Would you recommend 17lb test with some 35# mono leaders?

Thx,
Bob
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 pm    

Yes - they do make a 3" one.

http://www.justforfishing.com/browse.cfm/4,3873.html

http://allwatersfishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=11603

Funny that Berkley does not list them on their site.

17lb test sounds good - but I would go with wire leaders or you will be replacing leaders pretty often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use