BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
May 2016 Bareboat

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinarello1
Link to this postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Note May 2016 Bareboat

Hi All,

New to the forum, although we are now about to travel to the BVI for our 6th BVI charter. We've met Walker. You were cleaning up some bull shark teeth when we met. Seems like that was around 2010. Looks like our sailing plans may be in conflict with the JVD Wooden Boat Regata and the Lowell Wheatley Anegada event. A little unsure of the dates for both events, but looks like they're both on the same weekend. Our possible solution is instead of taking the usual counter clockwise route, we'll go to JVD on the 1st day and sail directly to Anegada on the 2nd day. Any tips on a late May sail in that direction? Also planning a very early departure from JVD, so I'm assuming we'll get to Anegada early enough to pick up a mooring ball. Any thoughts, comments, advice, etc. are greatly appreciated. We'll be on a Sunsail 444 catamaran. Leaving Road Harbor 5/25/16 for 7 day charter.

Thanks, Rick (Denver, CO)
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:35 pm    

If all aboard are comfortable with a long upwind sail, then you are good to go.

If not, then go clockwise and don't worry about the Lowell Wheatley fishing tournament. You will get to Anegada earlier (most likely before noon) and will almost certainly find an empty mooring. The boats fishing will not be on the moorings when you get there.

If there are no empty moorings, go a little bit to the west of the field (in front of Neptune's) or to the north (closer to the beach) and drop the anchor. Anchoring on Anegada is a piece of cake - super holding in water that is not deep.

I have sailed into Anegada dozens of times. I have never ever tied to a mooring on Anegada - always used the anchor.
pinarello1
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Note JVD to Anegada

Hi Walker, thanks for your reply.

I would like to go directly from JVD to Anegada, but I am hoping for a bit of a SE component to the late May winds. A little confused on the event dates. I'm finding two different dates for both of the mentioned events. Can you clear that up for me? Near as I can tell, both events are on the weekend following our departure from Road Town. We definitely want to miss the Wooden Boat event on JVD, so going there on our first day (May 25th) seems to make the most sense.

Thanks again, Rick
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:25 am    

I originally thought you were asking about the Lowell Wheatley fishing tournament. I just realized that it is normally held in November. It is the Lowell Wheatley Pursuit Regatta that is in May. I don't know the date for this year. Call the Anegada Reef Hotel at 284-495-8001 and ask about it. They should be able to tell you for sure. If I were on island right now, I would call and ask them for you. I am off of Anegada until the first of June.

Foxy's Wooden Boat regatta is usually Memorial Day weekend, so going to JVD on Wednesday makes sense.
BaardJ
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 am    

Royal BVI Yacht Club calender shows Foxy's Wooden Boat Regatta on May 27-29, and Lowell Wheatley Anegada Pursuit Race on JUNE 25.
pinarello1
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Note JVD to Anegada

Thanks Walker, I'll call the hotel. The Wooden Boat Regatta is on the Memorial Day weekend. Which, according to a few websites is the same weekend as the Lowell Wheatley event. Although, one site shows it the weekend before Memorial Day. So, we're trying to miss all of that by going to JVD and Anegada before the weekend. Really appreciate your help on this. I'll probably post again a few days before we leave to see if the approach markers are in place at Anegada. Guess I could inquire about that at the hotel also.

Rick
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 pm    

The Anegada channel markers are all there. I just saw them last week.
pinarello1
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 am    

That's good news. Always nice to have the markers in place.
Looks like the June date that you mentioned is the best date available for the Anegada pursuit race. So far, I've found 3 different dates. So, based on the info. that you've provided and whatever else I could find, we'll just do the usual counterclockwise route.

Thanks, Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use