BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Grand Theft Auto on Anegada!

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Note Grand Theft Auto on Anegada!

Well, we had a very interesting night here last night. The second wave of Yacht Week was here at Cow Wreck - about 200 or so horny youngsters in a full party-on mood. They arrived about 5:00PM and partied until after midnight.

At 1:00AM, the last of them were taxied back to Setting Point and the lights here went out.

That is when the excitement began.

About 1:30AM, Bell heard noise outside her house, looked out, and saw Lil Bit's taxi go by. At first, she thought nothing of it, but then she saw that the truck was acting strangely. She called her daughter Tieka and then called the police.

Bell went outside, and the person driving the taxi had driven it to the edge of the beach, and was stuck in the soft sand.

The driver then abandoned the taxi and walked to the cottage next to us, where Jason Helmbrecht is staying. They found the keys to Jason's rental car and took off with it.

Bell and her grandaughter Lakesha hopped into their car and began chasing the stolen vehicle.

As they were driving along the main road, which is under construction, the thief ran off the left side of the road, and hit the construction forms where they are casting curbs along the side of the road. They took out about 75 yards of the forms, which are full of nails and re-bar. In turn, the forms destroyed the left front tire of the vehicle, but it continued on. It then ran off of the right side of the road into a trench that has been dug for footers for the curb, but not yet formed up. The vehicle made it back on to the main road, and left a zig-zag slalom in the gravel on the next half mile of the road.

They continued on to the concrete portion of the road - about half a mile from where they first hit the construction forms and blew the tire. On the concrete road, bits of tire and plastic auto body parts started to appear in front of Neptune's Treasure (about a mile further down the concrete). They made it almost two more miles before the shredded tire completely destroyed the wheel well of the vehicle and took out the wiring harness, stopping the vehicle.

At that point, the driver left the vehicle and disappeared. Bell and Tieka stopped where the vehicle was. Tieka spotted something moving out in the bush. It was the driver. He emerged from the bush and began walking along the road.

At this time, the police vehicle came from the other direction, and passed the person in the road, the officer not knowing that the person was the suspect.

Bell and Tieka told the police officer that the person that was in the road was the person that had stolen the vehicle.

The officer approached and told the suspect to stop and put his hands up. The thief refused, so the officer Tased the person. (WOW - I had no idea that Anegada even had a Taser!).

The thief was one of the Yacht Week kids. He had taken the taxi back to Setting Point from Cow Wreck, then decided that he wanted to come back to Cow Wreck. He walked first to V&J's, where there were several rental vehicles parkd, but none with keys. He then crossed the road to Lil Bit's, and stole Lil Bit's taxi which had only just a few minutes earlier finished bringing the last of the Yacht Week party back to Setting Point. He drove the taxi over here, where the lights were out, and that is when first Bell noticed something wrong.

This is Jason's rental car:

walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 pm    

Update: The auto thief has been released and has sailed away with Yacht Week. The two people from which he stole and damaged vehicles declined to press charges after he paid them estimated damage costs.

His identification:
John McLaughlin
620 Teethsorn St.
Houston, TX 77009
TomC
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:43 am    

Holy $hit! - that's a wild story, Walker!

Let's hope he doesn't crash into you in HOU. Twisted Evil
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:51 am    

That night also must have been a wild party. Photographic evidence to come?
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:32 am    

The Anegada police have tasers? I will remember that the next time Desne tells me she has a "special" on Cruzan confusions. I'll just walk back to D&H.

Was that one of Dean's cars? Last trip, we started leaving the keys in the rental car so we wouldn't lose them (especially after an evening of Cruzan confusion). Guess I'll rethink that one.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:02 pm    

Yes - that was one of Dean's rental cars.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:18 pm    

Pics from the Yacht Week start at http://bvipirate.com/BVI2016-January/160106-173036.html
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Note wow

That is more people than I have seen in 5 trips to Cow Wreck - combined!
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:52 pm    

That picture is from the smaller group. The Yacht Weekers from 12/30 were a much larger group and stayed at Cow Wreck until 3am.

FYI - Henny (Dean's wife) reports that the damage claim has been paid in full.

-Jason
mabeachgal
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:31 am    

Glad to have missed that!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:56 pm    

Wow! Also glad to have missed that.
I'm amazed how laid back the owners of the vehicles were, given the blatant disregard for property damage shown by the thief.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:29 pm    

Wow is right! Crazy night on Anegada. I don't wish I was there one little bit for Yacht Week.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 pm    

Another interesting thing about the incident: the police officer was in his very first night on Anegada. He had arrived that afternoon, and did not know anyone on the island.

He must have thought something like "WOW! This place is really wild!".

The only time a taser has been used on Anegada - by a complete newbie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use