BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Navionics App

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Note Navionics App

We're looking at Conch and Horizon. Both say something like, "Use your ipad with Navionics" (at least for the boats we are considering).

I looked at the app and wonder how good is it. Anyone use this app? Which level of the app do you use? How do you like it?
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 am    

I like it a lot
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm    

Does it need the data on to work? That can be a huge bill if it does.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:12 pm    

I use the Navionics app for coastal cruising on the east coast. It's great but not a replacement for a permanent mount unit or a good handheld. You can't see the Ipad screen in direct sunlight and its not waterproof. Also, the Ipad may overheat in direct sun. Use it as a planning tool but have a marine rated unit as your primary tool.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:39 pm    

So, as far as the app is concern it's good? If you could see the ipad, did have a heat problem and weren't worried about getting it wet, you'd say it was good? Which level of the app do you have?
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:24 pm    

Yes, it's a great app. I prefer it to my Garmin bluechart and generally use both when cruising the ICW. I have version 4.1 for inland lakes and US waters.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm    

They have something like gold, plat., silver levels. Do you know anything about the difference or what you have?
mdixon
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 am    

kegoangoango wrote:
They have something like gold, plat., silver levels. Do you know anything about the difference or what you have?

The Silver, Gold and Platinum+ monikers refer to the charting products available in CF or MSD format that are to plug into your chartplotter on the boat.
In quick summary, Silver is a very minimal, low-data-size chart package that is embedded into Raymarine plotters at the factory. It is able to be stored completely in the plotter's internal memory. Basic charts, no coverage depper than 23 feet.
Gold is our award-winning base charting world-wide. Full coverage, and divided by particular zones as to keep the data size in line with what plotter software is intended to handle. the 3XG coverage area, for example, covers BVI - all of the Caribbean, as well as all coastal waters for South America.
Platinum+ products take the Gold charts for a smaller coverage area, and then add satellite overlays, panoramic photos, and 3D view which only certain plotters are capable of utilizing due to the very large amount of data on the card. The 908 coverage area for Platinum+ covers only Bermuda, the Caribbean, and a portion of the northern coast of South America.
Gold and Platinum products can be updated daily on an ongoing basis.

And, of course, you get http://www.navionics.com/en/sonarcharts and the Community Layer...

Anyway, just wanted to give a clarification on that.

The mobile apps are a singular product by coverage area. There is no additional charges based on data.
For the Caribbean/S. America coverage area, for example, the phone app is $14.99, and the HD app for tablets is $54.99. One time. Full coverage.
This gives you all the same great charting as well as the satellite overlays, panoramic photos, and Community Layer, etc.

I can post some screen shots if you'd like. But I think I've typed (more than!) enough for now!
mdixon
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 am    

Calypso Me wrote:
Does it need the data on to work? That can be a huge bill if it does.

You only need data signal or wifi to download the maps you need. Let me explain...

When you buy the Caribbean/S. America Navionics app, you get access to the full catalog and charting for that entire coverage area.
BUT...we don't put that all to your device immediately. For one, you don't need it all. Two...it would be a long process and would sap much of your memory, to say the least.

You store the detailed map information (it's split into "tiles") to your device two ways:
1. By simply zooming in on a particular area. The app knows to fetch the data for that tile and seemlessly download it to your device as you're zooming in.
2. Use the "Download Map" function in the menu, where you then draw a box over a certain area, and get all the mapping contained within. Can be small...or you can just do the entire Caribbean if you should want.

The app needs signal to get them maps to your device, but once you have them, you can go anywhere you want and use them. If your device is equipped with GPS, you're all set.

(There is one other small feature that you need signal to access...
While tides, currents, etc are stored...the wind forecast feature does require a signal to access in real time)
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 am    

Cool, Thanks. I will look into that for our next trip.
tpagenc
Link to this postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Question Import waypoints into Navionics on iPad?

Wow - great post! We have our 12 day BVI bareboat trip coming up soon. First time bareboating / back in the BVI's in 20 years! First time was before kids. This time with our 20 and 18 year old kids. So we are looking forward to the trip. I had been thinking about a handheld GPS for backup to whatever the charter boat has on board and your post convinced me the iPad Navionics app is the economical way to go. So I bought / downloaded the app last night. Now I just need to figure out how to import the waypoints from the Cruising Guide into the iPad. Any idea how to do this?

Thanks for your help!
sequi1
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Note Navionics for Android

Hi,

any of you has the Navionics installes on an Android device? Thanks!
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:57 am    

I have Apple products only, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use