BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Two weeks itinerary plus other questions....

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Closehauled
Link to this postPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Note Two weeks itinerary plus other questions....

Hello Everyone!
First of all congratulations for the forum, probably the best resource I've found so far while planning my next trips to the BVI!! My wife and I will be there from Aug 8th to the 21st, we rented a 31ft monohull and after i got a cuple of charts I am starting to plan our itinerary.
I have a couple of questions just to make sure I am not missing anything....

1) Phone related....I was planning to buy a prepaid sim card for my ipad just to have an internet connection and check weather ecc when we need it. I found this LIME phone company with a shop in Road town that would be excellent to get my sim the day I get there; any opinion on this? Is it Lime ok as coverage? I do not need to stream or download heavy stuff, just some weather info and do a couple of facetime calls.

2) Back on the weather....can you suggest me any good website to check the weather forecasts of the BVIs?

3) That's the importat question: we will have 13th full days and are planning to visit the following places I found on "Cruising guide of the Virgin Islands"(S&N Scott):
- Peter Island (north and south part)
- Norman Island
- Great Tobago
- JVD and little JVD
- Cane garden bay
- Marina cay
- The dogs and the baths
- Anegada
- trellis bay
- Salt Island

Is there anything we are missing or any suggestions like "ooohh if you plan to go there you must not miss this spot" or "on the Tortola North side you cannot miss....."

To help you understand what we look for....

LIKE: sailing (we don't mind it at all, unless there is really zero wind, the engine is just for anchoring or docking; upwind sailing? that's part of the game....), remote/isolate places, silence, snorkeling around wrecks ecc, a couple of good restaurants and drinks but only the two/three times we will dock for provisioning.
Not looking for: noise, beach parties, loud music, crowded places.

Not that we are hermits but sailing is what gets us away from people and, as rude as it may sound, we need it once in a while.

The list of places I have given you before is not really the planned itinerary, given the short distance between islands we can mix it up and, most important, it mostly depends on the weather so it should be just a list of what "not to miss".

Thank you vary much and congrats again for the great forum!

Federico
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:39 pm    

You can buy prepaid SIM cards from CCT, Lime or DigiCel. They work fairly well. For data, you will have to prepay for their data plan as well. I have had CCT and Lime phones and data in the past. I have an old cellphone with a prepaid SIM for phone only. For data, I have used CCT, Lime, and DigiCel.

CCT is the least reliable of all of them. Lime is OK. DigiCel seems to be trying harder than the others, and I like their customer service. Customer service at both CCT and Lime is abysmal.

For weather, just click the button above. There is a large variety of weather items to choose from.

Your list of places to go looks like it is fairly complete. Mind you, a lot of places will be closed - you will be in there in the off-season.

My wife and I will be at our home on Anegada (at Cow Wreck Beach) after August 14. If you get a chance, drop by.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:29 pm    

we might be there in August as well on our Cat Parendi 43ft Leopard.
Look us up if we're around.
You don't have the North sound on your list. It's a great place to stage for Anageda and with 13 days I would even consider spending 2 nights in the sound. One at leverick and one at the Bitter End or Saba Rock.
Other than that like Walker said be mindful that quite a few places will be closed.
as far as the weather goes it is going be partly sunny with winds ESE at 15kts...unless it's not...
Closehauled
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:26 am    

Hello!
Thanks Walker and Herve for the replies and the helpsul hints, I will definitely add the North sound as we were already planning two days in Anegada.
Looking forward to seeing you on water (and maybe on land!)

Federico
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:07 pm    

Monkey Point has great snorkeling and a number of moorings where you can swim right off the boat.
Last time we were there, there was millions of baitfish and maybe 50-100 huge tarpon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use