BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Dingy Security

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAD1025
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Pirate Dingy Security

Started sailing the BVI 20 years ago but have not been down for eight years. I never worried about locking up the dingy in the BVI but other islands yes. Have things changed so that I should make sure the motor and dingy is locked up when we leave the dingy for extended periods and at night? Thanks for the insight.

Matt
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:20 am    

Yes, you should. Dinghy theft has become quite common.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:22 pm    

We even hoist our dinghy on a spare halyard at anchor. Fortunately Anegada is very safe and never worry there.
MAD1025
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:55 pm    

Sad to see it happen - it used to be just sorting them out the next morning as people grabbed the same grey dinghy they were sure they tied it up right there. So I guess it is safe to say gas cans and engines go hand in hand. Thanks for the reply.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:01 pm    

Gasoline tanks grow legs fast - really fast in some anchorages - even Anegada. Best removed and stowed safely.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am    

Most charter companies have a 20-foot cable with a pad-lock.
Easy matter to loop the engine and gas can and lock it to the boat or pier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use