BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Taking a BVI break, favorite alternative destinations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flotsam
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 pm    

Looking at all of your photos and reading the websites (even discounting any and all "Herve" references) is convincing me... one quick question: How do you get to St. Vincent from, say, Detroit? Looks like I've got to fly to Barbados via Miami, then separate SVG flight on to St. Vincent. Almost looks like it would make sense for us to spend a night in MIA in order to catch the 9:55 am flight to BGI, otherwise we'll miss the 16:00 flight over to St. Vincent. Once there, do you prefer to stay the night in a hotel and begin your charter the next morning, or board yet that evening and do briefings etc. before heading out the next morning?

Not quite as easy as getting to West End.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:30 pm    

Getting there is a bitch
I've gone the Barbados route a couple times and got stranded there
The other way I've tried was via st Martin and Antigua.... Not great either
One interesting idea is a charter from Martinique
There are a bunch of French operators doing that but it's typically with a captain
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:42 pm    

I agree - it's a bitch getting there. LIAT is the only airline into St. Vincent. Going down, we traveled from Beef Island via St. Martin and Antigua to SVD. Returning to the states, we had to overnight on Barbados, then through Miami to Houston.
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm    

DawnB wrote:
walker wrote:
My collection of photos from our Grenadines trip is here.

Walker, we definitely have to do a sailing trip together! Let's try planning something for 2015?

Ohhhhhh... can I come too? Pretty please????

I was there in October and would love to go back and I can't imagine a more fun group to go with!
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:57 pm    

We're lucky in that Toronto has direct flights to Barbados. Not too far from Detroit? For us it's easier than getting to the BVI's.

We flew SVG Air from Barbados to St. Vincent. We avoid LiAT at all costs. SVG was great - a little more money than LIAT, but on time, professional, but not always direct to St. Vincent - we went to Union, Carriacou, Bequia then St. Vincent - but it was a great way to see a lot of the places you'd be sailing to!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:19 pm    

We flew from Dulles to Barbados, and then took LIAT to St. Vincent, same day.
We spent two nights on St. Vincent prior to our charter just as a buffer against temporarily lost bags and to recover a bit from traveling before sailing to the Grenadines.

On the way back we overnighted in Barbados.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:31 pm    

We stay a few days at Beachcombers, they even will freeze our purchased meats for us for our charter, the staff always go out of their way for us, even making breakfast for us earlier than posted due to early flights one time.

Last time we also spent our last night at Barefoot's hotel, and ate several meals at their restaurant, Driftwoods, both excellent.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:47 pm    

I liked the little Hotel at Barefoot, and the food was excellent.
Our room AC unit struggled, but we were ok.
Flotsam
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:11 am    

I really appreciate all of this information, I find myself increasingly serious about choosing the Grenadines as our next destination.

As I did (way back when) the first time I visited the BVI, I'm considering doing a crewed charter, not because we couldn't bareboat, but just to make it easier on myself the first time in unfamiliar waters, to take advantage of a local skipper's "inside dope" on the best spots to visit, and to give the cooks a break for once. Any suggestions/recommendations as to a good crewed cat for 3 to 4 couples who works this area?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 am    

The largest Cats might accommodate four couples, but your chances of finding a crewed charter is probably better with three couples. Few cats have more than 4 staterooms unless you get into the "really big and expensive" class.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but Barefoot might be able to help you.
Flotsam
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:22 am    

Twanger wrote:
The largest Cats might accommodate four couples, but your chances of finding a crewed charter is probably better with three couples. Few cats have more than 4 staterooms unless you get into the "really big and expensive" class.

Yeah, I thought about that as I wrote it. Our last bareboat was Voyage's 58 which would work with 4 couples and crew, but I'm not sure how many cats that size hang out in the Grenadines.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:45 am    

Flotsam wrote:
Twanger wrote:

Yeah, I thought about that as I wrote it. Our last bareboat was Voyage's 58 which would work with 4 couples and crew, but I'm not sure how many cats that size hang out in the Grenadines.

I saw nothing that big (58 ft) on our trip a few years back.
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:59 pm    

Barefoot does have a sailing school, so they might be able to accomodate you with a Captaiin/Chef combo. Also, some crewed charter boats head south and offer charters while there. Horiizon has an optiom for 3 couples, if you google crewed charter yachts grenadines, lots of choices pop up, but mostly for 3 couples.

If I was going the passenger route, I'd pobably try the Diamante. We saw it in a few anchorages while sailing around, it looks like it could be fun with the right group - and if you had six to eight it would be.

http://www.sailingshipadventures.com/index.cfm?event=GetVesselDetails&VesselID=144
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use