BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Picture of the day - Mayreau flotsam & jetsam

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Grenadines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Note Picture of the day - Mayreau flotsam & jetsam

Flotsam and jetsam fascinates me.

If you recall my recent picture of Salt-Whistle Bay, Mayreau... if you continue past the palm trees you get to a rocky windward beach.
That beach, facing the Tobago Cays, is littered with man made objects offered up by the sea.

I am fascinated by the unknown (to me) stories that brought certain objects to the shore.
In this case the heavy wire rope, as big around as my little finger.
It was buried so deep in the rocky shore that it could not be budged.

Where did it come from? How did it get there?

My imagination runs wild when I see artifacts like this.

Was it the shroud of a fine sailing craft that came to grief in a storm and was dashed to pieces on the reef 200 yards offshore? Was the boat a derelict or new? Was it occupied by a frantic crew trying to save the tiny ship? Was there loss of life? What fearful waves or currents were strong enough to bring such a heavy object from the reef to the shore?

I stand there and stare at such things for minutes on end, my mind wandering wildly down avenues of possible events long past.

My wife just looks at me and shakes her head. rofl What are you taking a picture of that junk for?

Flotsam
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:38 am    

So glad to know I'm not the only person who does this. (Wife's reaction is identical, btw.)
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:24 pm    

Oh I do the same thing!!!!!!!!!!! I might have even seen that same bit of cable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Grenadines All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use