BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anegada Mooring With 7' Draft

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haebby
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Note Anegada Mooring With 7' Draft

Hi - Are there any mooring balls at Anegada in water deep enough for a monohull with a 7' draft? We don't want to anchor - are there mooring balls we cold use, and if yes. In which area of the mooring field?

Thanks much!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 am    

There are some balls that have around 7' under them, but none with 8'. With a 7' draft, I would want 8' of water so that a low tide would not put the keel on the bottom.

The only safe place with 7' draft is going to be to the east of the innermost channel marker and south of the government dock - which means that you will need to anchor. Anchoring on Anegada is very easy. The bottom has no rocks and holds very well.
haebby
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:03 am    

Hi Walker - thanks much for the very helpful response. Looks like we'll drop the hook then.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:45 am    

Walker... Isn't the shelf on the way through the channel about 7-feet below mean low water, or thereabouts?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:55 am    

Not sure what you mean about the "shelf", Walt. The channel itself is 8' or more except for one spot right between the inner red and inner green markers, where it is just a tad under 8'. In my soundings log, I have recorded 7.7' at N18 43.050 W64 23.150.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:05 pm    

Looking over my log, the only spot in the mooring field that is 8' is at N18 43.300 W64 23.250, where I recorded a deep spot at 8.1' in an area that was mostly around 7 to 7.5 feet.

Last edited by walker on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 pm    

walker wrote:
Not sure what you mean about the "shelf", Walt. The channel itself is 8' or more except for one spot right between the inner red and inner green markers, where it is just a tad under 8'. In my soundings log, I have recorded 7.7' at N18 43.050 W64 23.150.

I don't remember the Lat/Lon but that's probably the place. Seemed like the channel was reasonably deep except for one place where the water was definitely a different color. I call it 'the shelf,' but that's just my name for the spot. It always worries me a little when I go over it.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:12 pm    

Here is a snippet of my chart showing the channel. The 8.1' spot is right by the anchor symbol.

Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 pm    

I'm thinking of the spot between the red and green buoys at the east end of the channel (I think).
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 pm    

The water there does change color, but the color change is more because of change in the amount of grass on the bottom than because of depth change.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm    

I wondered about that, but have never stopped in the channel to look.

CYOA has the annoying habit of setting their depth-gauges about 3-feet too shallow and they put a depth alarm on ... I suppose the idea is to wake up a brain-dead captain before he hits something.

Instead, this strategy winds up causing an annoying alarm at just the time that I want to be paying attention to what I'm doing, and not trying to figure out how to turn the alarm off! laugh
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:59 pm    

My familiarity with the bottom in that immediate are dates back over 20 years, to when I was very active windsurfing off of Setting Point. I was initially intimidated by the brown patches in that area, thinking that they may be too shallow. I had a deep fin on my board, and it just looked shallow there. One day, I dinghied out to the area and explored - finding that it was quite deep, but looked shallow because of the contrast and the water clarity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use