BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Just got a GoPro Hero 3+ ... any tips?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Note Just got a GoPro Hero 3+ ... any tips?

Just got a GoPro Hero 3+ for the trip to the BVI in July.

Any "gotta do" or "must have" tips for the GoPro neophyte?
MrMBurz
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 am    

You'll have some fun with the Go Pro Hero 3 - great camera with a ton of functionality.

The first suggestion I have is to get some spare batteries. The one provided doesn't last all that long, but it's mostly an issue in the extreme cold. The Go Pro brand replacement batteries are pricey. I suggest you go to Amazon and search for "Wasabi Go Pro battery". There's an item there for ~$24 that includes 2 batteries and a charger. I have these and they work just fine.

The other suggestion I have is to get a variety of mounts. I made 2 hand held mounts out of a ~5-6" section of white schedule 40 PVC pipe with 2 end caps glued on the ends. The first one is smaller and made from ~1" pipe. I bolted a tripod mount to one of the ends. I also made a similar mount from 1.5" pipe. The bigger pipe will allow the camera to float if I dropped it overboard. Using the smaller mount, the camera will sink! (On the floating hand held mount, I used an adhesive mount on the end cap as opposed to the bolt thru tripod mount.)

I also bought a handlebar/seat post mount and have often used it to attach the camera to a broken ski pole ~2' long. This allows for some interesting selfie type shots while skiing, snorkelling, steering the boat, etc. It also allows you to get a "down low" or "up high" perspective which are pretty neat and make your videos a little different.

You can make a lot of these mounts yourself pretty cheaply or you can buy them. Go to eBay and search for "Go Pro mounts". Do the same on YouTube and you'll find a ton of ideas/tips.

For example, you could use the handlebar/seat post mount to attach the camera to a lifeline stanchion and make a time lapse video at sunset.

If you could figure out a way to haul the camera aloft, you could use the WiFi remote to take some cool photos or video from high above the deck.

Typically, I shoot 1080p/60fps with a medium field of view. This is well suited for body mounted or action type shots. The lens is a really wide angle, almost fish eye lens, so you can capture a lot of what is in front of you. This also means you may need to get really close to your subject if you want a close up type of shot.

Experiment and have fun. Please share anything that comes out good!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 am    

Great tips!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that. Arrr!
PEDCO
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:18 am    

Do not buy the go-pro pole , I took a 36" piece of 3/4 pvc (biggest I could fit in my travel bag) with the go-pro mounted provided with the camera and it worked great . There was enough buoyancy to let go of the pvc if needed to adjust whatever without it sinking right to the bottom.

I also learned that there is a red lenses case that supposedly works better for underwater shooting but I was happy with the standard lenses case .

Check out Shelby's underwater videos from the boat "Catatonic" , they are fantastic and were all shot with the go-pro with the filtered case
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:38 am    

Thanks PEDCO.
I ordered the handlebar mount for it.

I've heard people say to get a section of PVC and cap the ends so it will float.
I'll have to experiment, because I often dive down 10-15 feet to get pictures of stuff while snorkeling, and I don't want something too buoyant... just enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use