BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fishing lures for the drop between North Sound an Anegada

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Note Fishing lures for the drop between North Sound an Anegada

We are in countdown for our August trip. We are planning a trip to Anegada and our newbie friend Robert is researching flies for bonefish. We are also interested in what you use for trolling on the trip over and back. Robert is an accomplished Big Fish jig maker and has fly fished around the world. Any advise on stuff to keep him busy?

This is a marlin type jig he makes and is well known on the Kona coast

This is Robert and his record Mahi last year

Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 am    

I bring "stretch" lures of different sizes (they are rigid lures between 5-8 inches long with a clear plastic depressor at the nose).
These have difficulty going more than about 6 knots, but they do attract fish.
A marlin lure is kinda big... any of the smaller skirted tuna lures like the one you have pictured are good.
I also bring a Penn 330 reel loaded with 30-lb line and a 5-piece travel rod that's sturdy enough for the Penn reel.
In addition, we troll 2 hand-lines with 200lb leaders.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:46 am    

Rita, there is no drop between North Sound and Anegada. You will be in 60-90' of water all the way. If he wants to do some serious deep water trolling, the south drop is about 2 -3 miles south of Cooper, troll the drop to Norman. Danny Vanderpool in Anegada is the bone fish expert.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 am    

True, and the North drop is kinda far up there.
If memory serves, maybe 15 miles north of St. Thomas, and 20 miles NW of Tortola.
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:23 pm    

Danny is off the time that we are there so we are hooking up with one of his recommendations.

What would you use to troll between Lee and Anegada?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:49 pm    

Lee?

Generally I troll what I described above just about anywhere.

Trolling near Anegada you're likely to pick up a 'cuda.
They are fun to catch, rambunctious and toothy, but I don't eat them.

NW of Tortola you will sometimes see baitfish breaking on the surface, particularly in the morning. We troll near these schools (not through them!) and often get a hit. Jacks and small tuna.
Lazarette
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 pm    

Several weeks ago we caught a nice 3 1/2 ft. Mahi about halfway from Anegada to JVD. We used a hand line and were pulling a blue and white 6" plastic lure we bought at Surf and Sand at the Mooring's base. One of the best fish we have caught in many trips.
Very Happy
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 pm    

Awesome! Mahi is my favorite eating fish.
Lazarette
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:24 pm    

Of course it went straight on the grill that evening. One of the best meals the entire trip.
andyfjr
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Note heading out on Saturday

Lazarette wrote:
Of course it went straight on the grill that evening. One of the best meals the entire trip.
I completely agree, Lazarette... Mahi makes for some good eating!!! Hopefully we will be so lucky. I see you are from BR... CHS Bruin myself, transplanted to NC many moons ago... BUT, the family we are traveling with still live there. This is my first trip to the BVI's...and to say I'm excited would be an understatement of egregious proportions!!!.
Lazarette
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:56 pm    

Go Bears! My Son attended CHS about 10 yrs. ago and has been on many BVI trips with us starting when he was about 6. Have a great time on your trip, it is really a great experience. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use