BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Charcoal Grill ?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peto
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Note Charcoal Grill ?

I have a Moorings 464 Catamaran chartered out of Tortola next week. When i was asking about provisioning they told me the boat has a Charcoal grill.... Is this typical in the islands? I would think gas would be a lot safer.

I would never consider a charcoal grill on my personal boat.
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm    

It's been a charcoal one on every single charter I've done. Gotta remember which side you put the dinghy on!!!
Peto
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm    

wow... just seams strange to me .. Wind and Charcoal = blowing embers = bad juju on a boat .
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 am    

The grills are generally on the stern and since you are hanging on an anchor or mooring downwind blows off the boat. As Norman points out you do have to pay attention to where the dinghy is.

Keeping the charcoal going is often easier than keeping a gas grill from blowing out.
leeguice
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 am    

A few, not Moorings to my knowledge, do have gas grills, I believe all Voyage boats have gas.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:53 pm    

Never seen a gas grill on a charter boat.
Getting the charcoal lit is a bit of an art. Once lit, it usually burns fast!
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 pm    

Tony has a nice gas grill on Utopia. Uses the small screw on bottles. Gets about 4 or 5 meals per bottle. Big stainless grill, think it is a Magna... we had 7 NY strip steaks on it with plenty of room to spare
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 pm    

bow gas , yeah charcoal...never have used a gas grill, and don't plan on it.

Wish they would put Weber charcoal grills on them but don't think they would handle the salt water.

If you are going to use gas you might as well put it in the oven/broiler....

Kent
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 am    

The Voyage boats all have gas grills. They are stored under the cockpit seats when not in use so they are better protected than the standard charcoal grills that most charter companies permanently mount to the rail.

The grills are large rectangular stainless steel grills that have their own mounting post that attaches to the stern of the boat and have a quick connect gas line. In the galley is a selenoid safety switch for the gas.

Great setup!
VislandBound
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:52 pm    

Here's our charcoal grill having to work overtime!!

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=274791114/PictureID=665758893007/a=21348708_21348708/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/ dance
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm    

Wow! Amazing! If I did that, I'd lose half of it in the drink!

I can't wait to BBQ again. It's been buried under 4' of snow since November!
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:17 pm    

I can see the Terns circling now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use