BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Village Cay Resort or Maria's?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Staying Ashore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Note Village Cay Resort or Maria's?

The crew wants to go for longer next year and I'm looking for ways to save money without giving up quality. There aren't many ways to do that, but a no brainer is to stop staying at the Mariner Inn (Moorings hotel). It's way too expensive for what you get.

Maria's gets a lot of good press, but I noticed Village Cay Resort is right there as well. Rates aren't much different. Has anyone had a bad experience at either one? I'm inclined to go to Village Cay if it's a toss up.

Thanks for any insight!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 pm    

I agree - the Mariner Inn is a big waste of money. You don't really need to sleep beside the slip, and the Mariner is high-dollar.

For the last four or five years, our go-to place on Tortola has been the Tamarind Club. It is a 15-minute ($30) taxi ride from Wickham's Cay, but it is very comfortable - and the folks there are a lot of fun to be with. The rooms are in the ballpark of $125 or so a night.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:40 pm    

I hear good things about Tamarind as well. I'll check it out. Thanks, Walker.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:31 pm    

So I booked Tamarind for our upcoming trip and was looking forward to it. We had 4 rooms booked. But then our trip dates changed and when I tried to move the reservation we ran into a wedding that has the place all filled up.

So I'm back to looking at Maria's or Village Cay. I'm not stressing the decision too much since both sound like decent places. But I thought I'd bring this back up in case anyone has any horror stories or reasons they prefer one over the other.

The good news is we are indeed booked for two extra days on board compared to our normal trips. We're spending one of the extra days on Anegada. Looks like we arrive the day after you are scheduled to return to the States, Walker. (June 21) This will be my tenth trip to the islands and my tenth year going there. It's showing no signs of getting old yet.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:45 am    

We have stayed at Maria's several times. Nothing special but the rooms were clean and the location is convenient.
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:14 am    

I have not stayed at the Village Cay but we always have breakfast/lunch there the morning of our charter. We sleep aboard at BVIYC then dinghy around for an early breakfast. Good food, not too expensive right on the water. There is a small chandlery right in back so we can get last minute items, duct tape, parachute cord, noodles, etc..
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:45 pm    

Thanks Rita.

I just reserved our rooms at Village Cay and I'll try to remember to check back in here after the trip and leave a review.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Staying Ashore All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use