BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Dark & Stormy

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Island Grog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject:  Dark & Stormy

Just one of those tastes that has to remind you of the islands...

3 oz. Goslings Black Seal Rum - (almost mandatory)
3 oz. sharp Ginger Beer
2-3 fresh lime wedges

The mix just doesn't work with other dark rums - I've tried a few. If you can find Black Seal, it works best.

It's tough to find just the right Ginger Beer in the states. Best chance I've found is at Whole Foods or similar healthy grocier. If anyone knows the brand server in the islands, please reply.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:06 am    

I just posted the Dark and Stormy recipe on the BVIPirate Island Recipes page.

You are right - it really has to be Gosling's.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Note Dark & Stormy

Hi

In the search for a decent ginger beer in the states, we found that Goya produces an excellent Jamaican Style ginger beer - if it’s available in Wegman’s in the Buffalo area, it’s likely to be in other places as well! It makes a very snappy Dark and Stormy (with Gosling’s of course!).

Peace
Dugg & Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/
caribman
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:12 am    

the best dark and stormy on the planet is made by Jeremy at the Cyber Café in Trellis Bay (in my opinion). The ginger on the bottom is very strong and tasty, with rum floating on top. A truly unique drink. The best ginger ale/beer I have ever had is Bruce Cost ginger ale, made in Brooklyn NY. I first saw it at Calabash Market in Coral Bay, St. John of all places.
bubbamsu
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 am    

To tinker with Moscow Mules or Dark and Stormy's, you can add a dash or two of bitters and either Agave nectar syrup or ginger syrup to the usual ingredients.

I have substituted out the traditional vodka and used a ginger vodka, which is good, but not the same for me. Also, finding the ginger vodka is pretty hard to do. I have only seen it at 1 place in the Detroit area.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Note Re: Dark & Stormy

Dugg wrote:
Hi

In the search for a decent ginger beer in the states, we found that Goya produces an excellent Jamaican Style ginger beer - if it’s available in Wegman’s in the Buffalo area, it’s likely to be in other places as well! It makes a very snappy Dark and Stormy (with Gosling’s of course!).

Peace
Dugg & Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/

Goya makes some great products.
Remember Canada Dry Ginger Ale? It used to be made with real Ginger now it's a flavoring with none of health values of Ginger.
Sort of like Quinine water which they had to change the name to Tonic Water because they eliminated 99% of the Quinine and replaced it with a flavoring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Island Grog All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use