BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
RTW near TMM

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakenorman
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Note RTW near TMM

I usually use the RiteWay in Pasea when chartering with Sunsail. Can anyone tell me how the one near TMM (Road Reef Marina) compares, especially with fresh produce? Am thinking of ordering most items on line for delivery and then personally picking out the fresh items at one of the RiteWays. Since we are chartering out of TMM, that one, though smaller, would be much more convenient. Thanks.
Doug
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:46 am    

If that is the one around the corner from Conch Charters, the Riteway there has some produce, but it is pretty sketchy.

I'd take a run into Pasea if you want fresh items.

When I was there last year, it was mostly shelf items, pop, beer, some dairy type stuff and some frozen. The produce looked picked over and bruised. Depending on when you go, there may not be much to choose from.
lakenorman
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:06 am    

That's the one. That's the info I am looking for. And that is what I was afraid of. Thank you.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 am    

We were there a few months ago topping off and the store was very clean and well stocked. They now charge for bags, so either bring your own or pay the piper.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:54 am    

Evan, are you talking about Pasea or Road Reef location?
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:31 pm    

Road Reef, we had to stop by the Lime Store and fill water at Village Cay. We were quite surprised by the improvements since Bobbies closed. The prepared foods in the deli area are excellent. Pasea is like a U.S. market.
lakenorman
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 pm    

So here is the "spoil your trip" question: Would you risk telling the Admiral that the fresh goods ar Road Reef are as good as at Pasea? If she is not happy with Road Reef, we lose more having the provisioning team taxi over to Pasea. Don't want to start the trip with an unhappy Admiral.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 pm    

Either way you will need a taxi, go to the big store and save your worries. Without a doubt they get their groceries from the same company, so it's only bigger with more selections.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:22 pm    

That's good to know about Road Reef, last time I was there it looked like a big old convenience store, and stuff was piled in the aisles and forgotten about, I was afraid to buy anything in case it had been there since before I was born!

There is also a new market opened at Sea Cow Bay - Manuel Reef Marina, the first time we went in there wasn't a lot of deli meats, produce, prepared stuff, but on our return the place was well stocked! I hope it has improved, they weren't open long last time I was there...
HaftBaked
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:12 pm    

Dawn,

I emailed Brent about that market thinking it may be a good alternative for provisioning. He said it was "very basic and local oriented" and highly recommended Riteway. May be good for a few pick up items though.

Anybody have experience with Good Moon Farms?
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:22 pm    

RE: Good Moon Farms - I've bought produce from them while at the slip at Scrub - they show up in Trellis, Marina Cay and Scrub selling their wares by boat. Not sure if it is every day or not.

It was great produce, not cheap, but fresh and tastier than anything I have bought from the grocery store.

We're going to try to stop there when we are provisioning on this trip, but not sure if I'll have time to let you know how we made out before you head out.
HaftBaked
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:35 pm    

When we were at Marina Cay last time we bought some T-shirts from Aragon's boat. He had a ton of produce on the boat as well but we didn't need any at the time.

Our daughter is a major organic, go local, nature girl so when I told her about Good Moon she was excited to use it. I figured they may be more expensive.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:24 pm    

there is a store at Trellis, we normally stop there to top off items, get ice etc. It is not badly stocked, but not like the Riteway

Kent
miriamsstar
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Note Provisioning

I think Aragon will now provision the natural foods he grow on island. Says he will meet you anywhere on Tortola last time I talked to him
HaftBaked
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 am    

Yeah I saw on the Good Moon web site that they will deliver so I think we will try that. I plan to email him to see what is in season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use