BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Three Weeks - Order online or just provision when we arrive?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Note Three Weeks - Order online or just provision when we arrive?

So, we're three weeks out and trying to decide should we order online or just provision when we get there. We have the time (probably arriving between 9 and 10a, and check-out begins at noon - Conch).

Does ordering three weeks out help ensure we will get everything we want?

We are planning to take one roller cooler or heavy duty soft side with some items (checking it). Our plan is to bring several packages of bacon, lunch meat and possibly some rib eyes.

We have a 10-night trip and plan on eating breakfast/lunch on the boat and most dinners depending on where we are.

Since it is our first charter, I know your wisdom is valuable to me.

Thanks!
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Sniff Don't take too much!

I've used Bobby's Market in the past and the service has been excellent. Everything delivered to the dock on time.

Be careful not to take many items that require refrigeration, as your boat may not be up to the task. The first time we ordered for the entire charter and tossed about half of what we bought. It's not that difficult to supplement, reprovision, as you cruise around. (Anegada may be an exception.)

Even though you plan to cook mostly on the boat, don't miss the many great island restaurants that are at located at most anchorages.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am    

Thanks, Dave. We do plan on eating most evening meals at the different restaurants. We figure bringing the bacon and lunch meat would be easy because they're small and flat. And then one night for the rib eyes (4).

Has anyone order online for their re-provisioning, say from another place on the island (Soper's, GCB or somewhere?) or are those places now larger enough to have good providers there?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm    

I've heard that Bobby's has fallen on hard times recently.
I'm not the one to tell you what a good alternative is, but there is supposed to be one.
RickH
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:56 pm    

Heard the same thing about Bobby's, Walt.
For the first time in years I'm going to charter a boat instead of delivering one. Always used Bobby's in the past but Conch is pushing Rite Way.
We'll see.
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 pm    

Rite way is a great store. Has everything you need. We do not pre order. Takes about 1 to 1.5 hrs to get everything we need and stow it.
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:54 pm    

I just used Bobby's in August and didn't have any problems other than a cucumber that got frozen and was bad. A few substitutions, but nothing I wasn't able to use.

Actually, the rib eyes were very good!
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:05 am    

Thanks for all the input. I think we will wait until we arrive to shop as we have the time and ordering does not seem to change the availability of items.

Any additional comments?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:20 am    

Since you will have a bit of time on Tortola, I would definitely recommend shopping on your own. The RiteWay at Pasea (near the Moorings) is a great store, and has a butcher shop that rivals anything near us in Houston.

Bobby's market (in town, just south of the roundabout) was closed a few weeks ago for some much-needed rework. I don't know when they will reopen. We seldom go into Bobby's, as RiteWay is a much larger store with a much larger selection.

Shopping is easy - a taxi will take you and will pick you up and bring all of your provisions to the marina for you.
Joshlarson82
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:35 am    

We always go to One Mart when we get to town. Very friendly staff and they will pick you up and bring you back to your boat for free.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:09 am    

We usually provision when we arrive at Riteway, but I do order our meat choices to be frozen ahead of time and pick them up on my way to checkout. They have always done a great job - since there are only two of us, it's harder to find meats frozen in the right quantities, and they last longer in the fridge and keep things colder this way.
BVI North
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am    

Riteway is the right way. When we bring meat I take it as carry on. I got a funny look when they x-rayed the cooler at the security check point. Spooked the guy, he said the beef tenderloin looked like an arm from his view.
I have carried on frozen lactose free milk and cheese, margarine and all sorts of meat with out issue. My carry on is about 35lbs. We only drag the stuff because of dietary needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use