BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
This weeks Active Captain Newsletter

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Note This weeks Active Captain Newsletter

I posted this exact message on TTOL, but since Dawn is banned javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad') I thought I'd post it here.
---
So, did anyone else see the interesting newsletter this week from Active Captain? NOAA released a statement, "NOAA announces the end of traditional paper nautical charts." As of April 13, 2014 NOAA will quit printing them.

The article then goes on and discusses why "paper sailing" is going the way of the Dodo bird and buggy whip. Electronic plotting is the only way to go.

What's interesting to me about this is that while I agree completely, it seems it was only a few months ago that Sailing magazine's editor wrote about why you should never rely on electronics. (I thought this was funny, unless he drove a 1977 Monte Carlo or something.)
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm    

Thanks Kego! LMAO

I think that's crazy. What happens if your electronics go for a crap? What would you do, just sail in a circle until you can fix it?! Wouldn't that usually mean you have to go into an anchorage to get it looked after, and how would you get there if you didn't have your charts?!

You never know where you are in the middle of the night on a passage if you don't plot your course on a paper chart when the electronics fail! Besides, it's something to do every 1/2 hour! ~grins~

I would NEVER sail without paper charts. I love plotting my course on one for memories sake, if not for safety's sake!
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:56 am    

The argument he makes is very strong. Briefly, his arguments are that most boaters (especially those who boat often) have more than one piece of equipment that will chart with them (including their smartphone) for backup, most people with paper charts don't update them with the NOAA updates while the electronic products will automatically update and most of the better electronic products (stand-alone or on phone/tablet/laptop) will mark a "DR" every 30 minutes and go dead-reckoning if they lose GPS signal automatically.

In fact he considers paper charts the second most dangerous item in boating (behind having to stay on a schedule).

I'm sure it's an argument that will continue for at least a few more years until NOAA quits providing updates to companies that will continue to print charts.

Interesting, none the less.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:14 pm    

Same here Dawn. We always have paper charts aboard.
We also have 2-3 GPS units aboard, so having one fail is not going to be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use