BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Daily boat check list

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Note Daily boat check list

So we're a couple of weeks away from arriving for our first long charter (11 days). We have chartered 3-day/2-night weekends, but nothing longer.

I have pulled up some resources to build a daily boat checklist, but obviously thought this group of fine folks has a lot of wisdom. The boat we are chartering is Conch's 420CC Passage 2000 model. As it older than any boat we've chartered other than day charters, I figure the check list might need to be longer. Here's what I have so far:

Weather
Engine oil/coolant
Fuel level
Water tank levels
Ice/drinks/provisions
Heads working
Through-hull valves (leaks, working)
Bilge empty, no fumes/oil
Radio working

This doesn't include my departure check list, just the maintenance/functioning of the boat and major components.

Thanks in advance for the addition wisdom.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:04 am    

charts/course for the day

After a night I also look at the ground tackle/mooring bridle - any excess chafe
leeguice
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:37 am    

I always check the battery meter, probably a false peace of mind!

Be sure the dink is still there with tank and oars.

And the refrig temp.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:40 am    

@Capndar - course for the day? I didn't think we wanted a course for the day, but just go where the weather and winds take us:). Checking rigging and tackle is added.

@leeguice - battery, frig and really all equipment will be on the daily list. Thanks for the reminder!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:22 am    

I tend to check the electrical panel at night and in the morning.
Are all the switches the way they should be set?
I don't like leaving the water pump flipped on at night... a leak can run all your water into the bilge.
Turn anchor light off in the morning, etc.

Before turning in I usually check the mooring lines, anchor line, dock lines as appropriate. Same in the morning. You just never know what might need attention, or when.

Example: We had a dock-hand help tie us up at Del Ray, and I didn't check the dock-hand's work. Turns out he snugged us up tight, and it was at high tide. The next morning we had dropped down about 18 inches and the dock-line was like an iron bar because there was so much tension on it - and we were tearing the dock cleat out of the dock. Luckily the deck cleat was stronger than the dock cleat! Yikes.

On a cat I ALWAYS check the hull escape hatch windows. You can sink a boat if you sail around with those things open...

I generally just tend to snoop around before turning in and right after getting up to see how everything looks.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:25 pm    

charts and course, for the BVI? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use