BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anegada Beef

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Note Anegada Beef

My crew wants to know what the story is on the skinny cows. How did they get there? Are they simply wild, or does someone manage them? They certainly don't look like a source of milk or beef. Anyone know? Walker?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 am    

In the past (prior to 1967), Anegada was a very agricultural island. Cattle were raised in large number. When the Kenneth Bates "Anegada Development Corporation" received a lease for 8,000 of Anegada's 9,500 acres, agriculture was destroyed - and most Anegadians left the island.

The cattle that are there today are the remnants from those days. They are now feral cattle, managed by no one.

They are now a nuisance, as they are very destructive. Most of us think of them as large rats. Elimination of the cattle on Anegada would be a good thing.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:37 am    

That's an unhappy story. Thanks for the info, Walker.
FatDaddyK
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 pm    

Sounds like these cattle are looked upon as lion fish! How many of them are there and is there no plan to reduce or eliminate these bovine since they are termed a nuisance?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm    

I would guess that currently there are somewhere around 50 to 100 head of cattle on Anegada. We had a small herd of 10 cattle standing in the yard of the cottage next to us last Thursday night.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:34 pm    

Just hit one and watch the "owners" come out of the woodwork for restitution.
Also seems to be a bit of uncanny coincidence between a bit of herd reduction and a steak sale on Tortola every once in while yikes
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:42 pm    

FWIW:

1. I would never eat any beef from Anegada cattle. They are way too malnourished to provide good meat. The best fed ones eat at the garbage dump.

2. I never buy beef from One Mart. I know where they get a lot of it.

There IS a connection between these two statements.
FatDaddyK
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Note Beef

Steak sale. Too funny! rofl Are the local Anegadans that attached to "pests?" Seems the small size of the island might encourage "relocation" (perhaps a sub-zero freezer) to prevent damage and encourage the recovery of some of the plant life. Has anyone ever been punished for "hurting" any of the cattle (not that I condone abuse of any sort).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use