BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
mtbradey trip report 2013 - Day 5 (Anegada)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Note mtbradey trip report 2013 - Day 5 (Anegada)

Day 5 - June 9

We woke up and took on fresh water at Saba Rock before setting sail for Anegada. Great winds all morning making 9 knots most of the way under a beam reach.

We arrived on our mooring and were greeted as usual (at least it's been this way the past couple of trips) by men pitching the various restaurants. The guy from Whistling Pines sings a song to you. Sam from Potter's had a Carib in one hand and the dinghy outboard tiller in the other. I had decided on Potter's and made a reservation for dinner. At this point we discovered our dinghy had oil in the bottom again. We decided that someone had taken our dinghy back at North Sound and swapped their leaky tank out with our good one. So we cleaned the dinghy again.

We had a long lunch aboard and then went ashore to get our mini safari rental. I make the reservation through ARH, but the last couple of years they have farmed me out to other businesses. Maybe it's always been this way and I never noticed. Last year we got the car from Dean Wheatly. This year it was Junie at VnJ. We did the paperwork and drove over to Loblolly High Point where Flash of Beauty is and now Potter's Loblolly location as well. The roads are paved all the way! Monica was there making Painwackers (I told her we discussed a name change). We laid in hammocks at Potter's and had painkillers and read and snoozed and walked the beach until about 2pm. It was crowded in front of Monica's (better road means more guests, I suppose), but Potter's sits around a point on the beach and no one was there, so it felt like we had the place to ourselves.

We decided to leave to get some time at Cow Wreck. I was looking forward to seeing Walker and hopefully meeting Robin Mitchell who was there aboard Galeaux. I had never taken the road across the North side of Anegada, so we went this way. It isn't paved yet, but wasn't bad. More than half way to Cow Wreck I saw a turn off to the Salt Ponds, so I took it. Big mistake. We drove out near the water and got out and walked around and enjoyed the Salt Ponds. When it was time to leave, though, the truck was stuck. We dug for an hour and found rocks to put under the wheels, but nothin' doin'. I called Junie and he arranged for a back hoe to come get us out. We didn't have time anymore for Cow Wreck, so we went straight back to turn in the truck. Sorry to have missed Walker and Nancy and Robin. When we got back I asked Junie to please let me wash the truck. He said he would have to power wash it. I told him I wanted to make it right and he said if I paid for the power wash it would all be ok. I went over to pay the back hoe owner (also the owner of the power wash) and he told me I owed him $200 for the back hoe and $60 for the power wash. I felt pretty stupid about the whole thing so I didn't argue. A guy at the bar got real excited and told me I was a "man" for owning my mistake and paying without complaining. He bought me a Carib. Most expensive Carib I've ever had.

We cleaned up quickly for our dinner at Potter's. One of my favorite meals of the trip. I had the lobster fettucine alfredo. My goodness. Can't wait to get back for more.

It rained on us during dinner, but we got back to the boat without too much trouble. Turned in for the night. I feel bad about the Salt Pond, but Junie seemed genuinely ok and told me since I had learned my lesson to look him up for a rental next time we are on Anegada. I'll certainly do that.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:03 am    

Sorry we missed seeing you...

We all went to Potter's that night, but must have reached there after you left. We got there around 10:00PM. We were the people partying until 1:30AM at Potter's that night!

Here are a couple of pics that we took before going over to Potter's. The entire group was at Potter's.

Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 pm    

Walker!
Stop posting that pic of my twin sister! They will all think it was me!!!! Matt, I hate we missed you, too! Gives us a reason to go back. By the way....did you find my 2 brain cells on the dock at Potter's? I seem to have lost them.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14 am    

Too much fun! laugh rofl
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 pm    

I hate that we missed that party! We'll definitely catch you next time. I'm confident we won't be venturing out onto the Ponds anymore. Smile
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:44 pm    

Oh, and we had come and gone at Potters by 10pm, but not by much. Robin, it was nice yelling at you from the boat. Next time we'll have to actually have a proper conversation on the beach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use