BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
mtbradey trip rpt 2013 - Day 8/9 (Indians, Moorings, Travel)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Note mtbradey trip rpt 2013 - Day 8/9 (Indians, Moorings, Travel)

Day 8 - June 12

We slipped the mooring at 7am and motored over to The Indians. Got there in about 50 minutes and plenty of moorings available. Two of us dived and the rest snorkeled. Lunch aboard and we slipped the mooring for the last sail of the trip.

We close reached across the channel and had time for a couple of tacks. Called Moorings base and they put us in a slip on A- dock. I had to pay $75 for the lost dinghy gas tank, otherwise the debrief was no trouble. Sea Wing was a great boat.

We couldn't check into the Mariner Inn until 2pm. Seems like if the Moorings is going to require you to be back by noon they could arrange for the Inn to be ready to receive guests by noon as well. But no worries. We had some left over lunch provisions and sat at reception and ate lunch. Then we checked in, cleaned up, and sat by the pool. I walked the docks again and then went back to the room for a nap. We had dinner with Saturn again in the Moorings restaurant. Then we went over to the bar for a crew tradition. I fly a large blue flag with a white star on each trip and at the end the crew signs it and writes memorable quotes from the trip or just a couple words about something funny or memorable.

Afterward we were off to bed and our last night in the islands.

Day 9 - June 13

We awoke and had breakfast at the Moorings with Popeye. Royal Concierge picked us up and delivered us to the ferry terminal. We had arrived on Road Town Fast Ferry and had return tickets on the same, but they must have been having trouble with the boat because they put my crew on two different ferries, neither RTFF. It took us longer than planned to get to Charlotte Amalie. Once there we had planned to walk to the shopping district and eat and shop until it was time to go to the airport, but there wasn't enough time to do it at a leisurely pace, so we went upstairs to the Pump Room for a late lunch and last painkiller.

While there we were notified out flight was delayed. We went to the airport anyway and checked in. Our flight to Charlotte, NC would be arriving in Charlotte late at night with no options for going on, so we would have to get a hotel room. Long and short of it is that we arrived around 10pm in Charlotte, rented a van, and drove home to Nashville arriving at 5:30am. We were all exhausted. Not the best way to end vacation.

That was yesterday morning and since I've slept a few times and am slowly wrapping up the post trip stuff - pictures, money, unpacking, working on the email backlog. Welcome home. This year's crew is already planning to return - nay, insisting that we take them back next year. Glad to do it. They were a riot and rolled with the few little problems like old pros. Loved the sailing and were able to lime with the best of them. I think hands down this has been the best trip yet for us. The crew wants to do 10 days instead of 7 on board next year, so maybe we'll get a day and a half at Anegada instead of the half day. It's never been enough.

If you've read this far, I hope it was a good read for you. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about our itinerary or any of the places we went. Already planning the next trip...

Last edited by mtbradley on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chriskal
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:13 pm    

Hey Matt. Thanks for this, and all the other trip reports you posted today. Sounds like a great time was had by all.

We are 9 hours from wheels up as I write this (6:00am) and your excellent reports are the final thing I will read before I turn off my iPad and call it a night.

One question if I may. Approximately how long did your debrief at the Moorings take? Our water taxi is picking us up at 10:00 and I'm trying plan that last morning. Some of the crew want to hit bombas for the full moon party the last night of our charter and, if we go that route, I'm debating between mooring in CGB or Sopers.

Thanks again
Chris
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:52 pm    

Hey Chris,

My debrief lasted about 10 minutes. They are eager to get the cleaning crew on board. I had counted linens/towels before we docked and she took my word that we had them all accounted for. I had also filled out the form they give you at the beginning of the week (a feedback form), so I didn't waste time doing it during the debrief. My crew packed the last night on board and while under sail back to the Moorings. So when we pulled up, the debriefer stepped aboard and 10 minutes later we were off the boat. If you're in a hurry, just leave any left over provisions you don't want or can't carry. The Moorings staff will take what they want and it saves you some more time.

If you're coming back around the West End on your last morning, Sopers will obviously save you some time - 30 to 45 minutes of motoring I'd guess.

Have a great time! Already missing the islands and the great sailing.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:19 pm    

Matt

Thanks for the great trip report. Sounds like you had a great time. Definitely go to the 10 days, next time. Our first trip was 7, every since then we have always done 10.

Kent
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:35 pm    

Great report, thanks for posting! We also find that 7 days is never long enough, and try to plan for at least 9 days with a day to travel there and back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use