BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
mtbradey trip report 2013 - Day 7 (Sandy Cay, Soper's)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Note mtbradey trip report 2013 - Day 7 (Sandy Cay, Soper's)

Day 7 - June 11

We got a late start from CGB waiting for the Moorings to deliver the new dinghy tank.

We motored over to Sandy Cay and picked up a mooring around 11am.

We went ashore and hiked the loop around the island, then lazed in the water for a bit.

Back aboard we had lunch and then I was hoisted up the mast on the spare halyard for pictures of the crew on the trampoline. No sooner was I at the masthead than the people ashore began to yell "Shark!" Sure enough, about a 4 foot shark was swimming back and forth where the beach drops into deeper water, just about 10 feet from the water's edge. I couldn't tell what kind it was. Could have been anything. But it was clearly some kind of shark. None of them got back in the water until it was time to swim back to their boat, which they did hastily.

I've never sailed off a mooring ball before, so we gave it a try here. We nearly made it, too. At the last minute I had to start the engine to get us around onto a close reach. Oh well. It was a fun try.

It was getting late enough that we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon sailing rather than get into White Bay. We had some great wind and a good time. The crew really came together this week and got very proficient at sail handling. Lots of fun.

We ended the day on a mooring at Soper's and had dinner at the new Fish n' Lime. Dinner was excellent as was the service. The crew loved it. We'll definitely be back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use