BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Monica's Flash of Beauty Painkiller [Painwhacker]

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Island Grog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Note Monica's Flash of Beauty Painkiller [Painwhacker]

After several years of visiting Flash of Beauty at the far end of Loblolly and enjoying the deserted beach - but always with the bar closed - we finally showed up last June and caught Monica making drinks. I told her I never seemed to catch her there and she gave me her card and told her to call next time and she would come make drinks for us. Here is the recipe she was using to mix painkillers. A bit more involved than usual, but we love 'em. The only ingredient I can't provide is the love Monica said she was putting in the drinks. Very Happy

Ingredients:

Myer’s Dark Rum
Amaretto
Kahlua
Orange Juice
Pineapple Juice
Cream of Coconut (Coco Lopez)
Fresh Nutmeg

Directions:

1) Pour about 2 fingers of Rum into a tall/highball glass, shaker, or even a solo cup (about 10 oz)

2) Top rum with ice up to rim of glass

3) Splash Kahlua over the ice

4) Fill about half of remaining space with orange juice

5) Fill other half with pineapple juice, leaving just a little bit of space for…

6) …about a tablespoon of cream of coconut

7) Shake (pour back and forth with another cup or use a shaker)

Cool Pour over a fresh glass of ice (without the ice you shook it in – a strainer on a shaker is the easiest way)

9) Top with a circle of amaretto and fresh grated nutmeg.

Last edited by mtbradley on Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
sunseeker
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm    

Painkillers will Kahlua eh? think Id be likin me some of them . Sounds yummy Very Happy
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:06 pm    

Hard to call this a painkiller, though. Painkiller is a very, very standard drink. I give Monica credit for being creative, but this ain't a painkiller.

This one is almost painkiller meets bushwacker. A painwacker or a bushkiller...
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 pm    

rofl

I like Painwhacker! That's what I'm going to call them from now on! Whatever you call them, though, they're good!
Winterstale
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 pm    

Painwacker! Love it!
notquitecapnron
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:19 pm    

You're killin me....A painwacker and a bushkiller could not possibly be the same drink. Laughing
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 pm    

I may have to mix a few of those up this weekend.

Thanks for the recipe

Kent
sailonly7
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 pm    

For those who do not have all the fixens for pain whacker, which sounds super, but are banished to the mainland USA or anyplace far from the BVI .

Well, this is what I do. Dark rum is the high quality rum, the lighter rums are used with fruit juice and umbrellas, and gold fish.

Drop by Trader Joes, and pick up a bottle of Whalers Dark Rum....used on
in kauai to top off maitais. Or as well rum.

Along with the Whalers dark rum...a whole $ 9.95......also bag a bottle of vanilla extract.

Laugh as you will, but this is soooooo smoooth.. soooo good.....jive bitchen. Flows right on down, and you wont poke your eye out on umbrellas or extra log straws.

mix the vanilla into the bottle of rum....shake it up, baby. The hard work is done..

1. glass

2. fill with ice

3. Sake up rum bottle

4. Pour straight from the bottle and fill the glass pretty much up to the top of the ice.

5. Splash in a bit of water

6. Done deal....

I first learned this drink when we lived on Kauai Island, We had our own Koloa Rum Company. We toured their rum tasting room and I purchased a bottle of their Koloa Dark Rum that was laced with vanilla. this is an award winning champion rum.

Took the bottle to our condo and a couple of days later, I made myself a dark koloa rum on the rocks with a splash of water. Holy kauai chickens, that went down soooo smooth and easy and delicious.

We cannot find Koloa rum on the mainland ( moved from kauai 3 years ago )... I was wandering thru Trader Joes, and saw the Whalers....that I also used to order back on kauai. And the idea hit me.
I will make my own style of Koloa Rum....picked up some vanilla and life has been great.

However , on our next visit to the BVI, we will order pain killers , and add in the
Painwhacker when we are on Anegada.

Another small tip, today, It was a cold day here in Dana Point, and I wanted something to warm the innards. So, I had my pre mixed bottle of dark rum, and poured a couple of shots of my Whalers and Vanilla into a cup, added water and put it into the micro wave.

Perfect cold weather drink as well.

So there you go, no multi mixers and recipes. Keep life simple.
xrayman67
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:31 am    

Love some Koloa Rum. Their spiced is the best in my opinion. Great for sipping! My wife ordered a whole case last year of assorted Koloa rums. There is a mainland distributor. You should be able to Google. Anyway, they delivered to Florida.

I have a couple bottles of the dark. I'll try it with the vanilla!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Island Grog All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use