BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Charter Companies - BVI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Note I'm with Twanger

For a lot of reasons, we like chartering from St Thomas (Island yachts is the one we use) It also makes sense because we like a couple of days at S John
Maytrix
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 pm    

Here's my 2 cents..

Last year was our first year chartering a sailboat. We went with the moorings. After looking at all the options, searching for reviews..etc they seemed like a solid choice, especially for our first time. Cost seemed very comparable to other options I found as well.

We were there for a week and while the 1 problem we had should not have occurred (gas dropped below the generator level) because I think we left without a full tank of gas, it was very painless getting it resolved. The moorings service staff met us at Salt Island where we were for the morning and took care of the issue bringing us enough gas to last us the rest of our trip.

Every other dealing we had with them was great as well and we were very happy with the boat. This year, to save on the cost I booked time through an owner. I'd highly recommend doing that. I was skeptical at first, but the process still goes through the moorings and you can save a substantial amount. For us, close to 30%.

What I also found was that Sunsail and Footloose (who are supposedly less expensive) didn't seem less expensive at all. And I like how everything (including fuel) was included in the moorings price.

EDIT - After posting this I took a look at Conch Charters. Certainly seems decent. And they definetely have good prices. Only difference between them and the moorings is their newest boat would be the moorings oldest boat. Nothing wrong with that if they take good care of them. I'll probably give them a try in the future myself. Last year we were on a Moorings 4700 (which was likely 4 years old). This year we'll be on a Moorings 4600 that is no more than 2 years old.
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 am    

Ended up booking with Conch at the boat show on Saturday. Seemed like a pretty good price for a Lagoon 38....I think it was like $800 less than the email quote I got from them...plus some other fees waved. Come on February! It'll be my first cat charter.
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am    

By the way, I was doing some info searching on-line and saw somebody complaining about not being able to take Conch Charter boats to Anegada...is this true? Now that would really suck... Sad
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:28 pm    

Norman wrote:
By the way, I was doing some info searching on-line and saw somebody complaining about not being able to take Conch Charter boats to Anegada...is this true? Now that would really suck... Sad

Not true!
Capn Ron
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 pm    

Norman wrote:

I have used Conch three times and only the first time did I not go to Anegada. I showed them Walkers charts and waypoints and they said no problem!!!
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 am    

Walker wrote:
Norman wrote:

Not true!

Thanks. I was worried there for a bit.

It's interesting looking for forum posts about something like a charter company...you see the exact same bad/ranting posts on every possible sailing board when somebody has a bad time. Rolling Eyes

I did tell the Conch people I was referred by you by the way! Mr. Green
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:09 pm    

Norman wrote:
Walker wrote:
Norman wrote:

Not true!

It's interesting looking for forum posts about something like a charter company...you see the exact same bad/ranting posts on every possible sailing board when somebody has a bad time. Rolling Eyes

Be sure to download ALL of Walkers waypoints. I've tested nearly everyone, and they have always been spot on.
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm    

Delta Dave wrote:
Norman wrote:
Walker wrote:
Norman wrote:

Not true!

Be sure to download ALL of Walkers waypoints. I've tested nearly everyone, and they have always been spot on.

Already got them...I've been there a few times before. It's just my first time chartering a cat. It's interesting to note that most of his waypoints had already been entered into the boat gps on the previous trips (I use my own gps anyhow...I'm just more comfortable with it.)
drown
BVI North
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Note Pro Valor

We have used Pro Valor with excellent service, price and did I say service.
The Riteway next door is excellent and they are super convenient to EIS.
The rooms for rent above them make for a easy transition from life to island life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use