BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Mango Chow-Chow

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Plate Mango Chow-Chow

This is an accompaniment for pork or chicken. We first discovered this at Zula, our favorite Houston restaurant at the time. Chef Neal Cox served us fois gras on peach chow-chow (to die for!). Neal has become a good friend, and he shared his recipe for the peach chow-chow. However, we decided to give his recipe a Caribbean touch, and this is the result. You can use this as a topping for pork ternderloin, sauteed or grilled breast of chicken, or even grilled fish.

Our favorite presentation is to heat the chow-chow to serving temperature and make a bed of it on a plate, about inch (12mm) thick. Top the bed with sliced pork tenderloin or grilled breast of chicken. Top the meat with a teaspoonful of freshly diced mango and a cilantro leaf.

Click here for the recipe.

Last edited by walker on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:  Great Recipe

Tried the mango chow-chow over the weekend (while Walker & Nancy were spitting in Ike's eye). Great stuff Walker! I tried it with a small pork roast that I put on the grill. I did vary from your recipe though. I didn't have any peach schnapps on hand so I used Grand Marnier instead. I made read benas & rice for the side dish, and we washed it don with a bottle of Rioja.

Our April 2009 babreboat crew is coming over next month for a "planning party" (we plan on drinking too much rum) and I plan on wowing them with the chow-chow, and my wife is going to try Laura's painkiller salsa.

Chuck
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm    

This would also be great served with seared scallops!
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am    

OK Robin how about some not so time consuming great dinner ideas. Last thing I want to do is slave away in a galley, but I would like to do a special meal for some friends we are traveling with in August. We each will charter a boat and share some meals. They are BVI virgins and I hope we knock their socks off.
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 am    

Great! Let me give you an example of some menus and you can tell me what sounds good to you.

Dijon Rosemary Crusted Lambchops-mushroom risotto-corn macheaux
Babyback ribs with mango guava bbq sauce-baked beans-tater salad-deviled eggs
Seafood pasta-salad-garlic bread
Duck or Chicken Caesar Salads-roasted corn/black bean/mango salad
Tuscan Tuna Salad
Pineapple upside down cakes on the grill
Drunken chicken kabobs
Caribbean Gazpacho
Grilled Pork Tenderloins
Fish/Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Slaw
Hot Crab Dip
Grilled Chicken with Spring Salad of butter lettuce/baby carrots/sugar snaps/radishes with a champagne vinaigrette
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04 pm    

Robinmitchell wrote:
Great! Let me give you an example of some menus and you can tell me what sounds good to you.

Dijon Rosemary Crusted Lambchops-mushroom risotto-corn macheaux
Babyback ribs with mango guava bbq sauce-baked beans-tater salad-deviled eggs
Seafood pasta-salad-garlic bread
Duck or Chicken Caesar Salads-roasted corn/black bean/mango salad
Tuscan Tuna Salad
Pineapple upside down cakes on the grill
Drunken chicken kabobs
Caribbean Gazpacho
Grilled Pork Tenderloins
Fish/Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Slaw
Hot Crab Dip
Grilled Chicken with Spring Salad of butter lettuce/baby carrots/sugar snaps/radishes with a champagne vinaigrette

Wow, can you come cook on our boat?! Sounds awesome!
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm    

Oh my God, your killin me!!
How about

Grilled Pork Tenderloins (grilled is good)...
Baby back ribs w/mang......
Chicken Caesar
Dijon Rosemary Lambchops..
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Note Beer Marinated Pork Tenderloin

2 pork tenderloins
1/4 cup lager
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsps brown sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tspn apple cider vinegar, divided
3 tbspn olive oil

Put the meat in a plastic bag in the morning. Whisk lager, soy sauce, b. sugar, 1 tbspn vinegar together and pour in bag with pork. put in fridge all day turning when you can.

Light grill. crust the outside with coarse pepper and a little minced garlic. Wrap tightly in foil and grill until it reaches about 140 degrees. (underdone!) Maybe about 20 min if the grill is hot? You can turn once or twice, but be sure the foil is sealed tightly. Let rest for 15 minutes. It will be perfect. Mildly pink in the center is delicious and moist.
Serve with braised red cabbage or anything else ya want.
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Note Baby Backs with Mango Guava BBQ sauce

Rub you ribs with your favorite dry rub. Wrap in foil and cook in oven at 350 about an hour and a half. You are going to finish on the grill.

Mango Guava/Pineapple BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

1 lg onion, diced
2 cups (about 2 med) mangoes, diced
6 Tbsp Guava paste (I also used 1/4 c crushed pineapple)
Juice of 4 limes (I used a combo of real limes and lime juice from the green plastic thing).
2 tsp fresh lime zest
4 T honey
2 tsp ground cumin
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 c brown sugar
1 small can tomato paste
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (or you can do another can of tomato paste. I only had diced tomatoes).
Several dashes cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider from the pork marinade)
1/4 c dark rum

Directions:

Toss your onions in a pot with some olive oil. Saute until clear or well caramelized, however it goes.
In the mean time, puree all of the other ingredients except vinegar and rum in a food processor or blender. You are going to want to do it in batches. The point is just to get them to be a puree. They will all cook in together in the pot.
Toss the onions in with the last batch and puree until smoothish.
Simmer on the stove until nice and thick and the flavors have had a chance to meld.
Take ribs from oven and put on a hot grill to finish. Baste on the sauce until nice and sticky.
Enjoy on the meat of your choice. Chicken, too!
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Note Caribbean Caesar Salad with Chicken

I'll give you a kicked up version, because any one can make regular Caesar Salad

4 chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup thawed non-alcoholic pina colada mix, divided
1 cup tangerine or mandarin orange segments
1 celery rib, chopped
2 tablespoons crushed pineapple
1 green onion, chopped
4 pitted ripe olives, sliced
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 cups torn romaine or iceberg lettuce

Directions

Combine chicken and 1/4 cup pina colada mix. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir chicken mixture over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; set aside. (Or you can grill! If you grill spice up the outside kinda spicy because it goes well with the sweetness of the dressing)
Combine the tangerines, celery, pineapple, onion and olives in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise, cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and the remaining pina colada mix.
Add chicken and romaine to the tangerine mixture; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm    

You can also go to my recipe blog http://www.notyomamasrecipe.blogspot.com/, for tons of recipes and funny stories!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use