BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
How to use holding tanks.

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> What the Sh*t?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:  How to use holding tanks.

I know the charter company I use has holding tanks aboard but they have never told me how to use them. I will ask them on the next trip. My question now is, is there usually a way to pump the waste from the tank overboard, as in emptying in deep water, or do the tanks have to be emptied at a facility. If so how does one pump the tanks overboard?
thanks,
bill
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:07 am    

That's a good question, Bill. How to empty the holding tank depends on the boat. I believe that most charter boats require a pumpout facility -- the holding tank cannot be pumped out while offshore.

And -- my experience is that most charter companies have told me in no uncertain terms NOT to use the holding tanks, but to discharge overboard. I suspect that it makes their life much easier.

The Moorings will tell you point-blank DO NOT TOUCH THE VALVES.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:28 am    

The Sunsail boats that I have sailed ( 8 different ones) all had tanks and we used them each time.
There is a Y valve somewhere (usually under the sink) that can be open (overboard) or close (tank).
The flushing is either done by gravity and pumping the head at the same time or with a separate manual pump (looks like a golf ball with a hole in it for the handle).
We usually make it a point to pump out everyday (less concentration) once in deeper water.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:  Sunsail holding tanks..?

Herve..

So, if I understand you, there is a way to pump out (or empty) the tanks in the ocean on sunsail boats, by using the golf ball handle lever. I'm just curious since headed down in mid-May for a Sunsail charter.

Also, while we are not on the subjuct, do all the Sunsail boats have a cigarette-type lighter outlet to plug into?

Thanks for your help, Stew
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:  Holding tanks

We chartered from SunSail on our last trip. They went over the holding tank and pumping procedures without being asked. We always use the tanks and pump away from land.

They were easy enough to use. The valves were a little sticky at first. Also, it was hard to tell when you had completely pumped the tank.

Nothing spoils a nice dinner outside more than a log or two floating by. Shocked
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 pm    

Walker wrote:
That's a good question, Bill. How to empty the holding tank depends on the boat. I believe that most charter boats require a pumpout facility -- the holding tank cannot be pumped out while offshore.

And -- my experience is that most charter companies have told me in no uncertain terms NOT to use the holding tanks, but to discharge overboard. I suspect that it makes their life much easier.

The Moorings will tell you point-blank DO NOT TOUCH THE VALVES.

Quite right Walker, in fact on every Moorings / Footloose boat we have chartered the y valve has been tie-wrapped in the overboard position. Next charter is with North / South, we will see what they want us to do.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:57 am    

I have an Raritan Electro scan (successor to the venerable Lectra/San) on my boat. At a street price around 1000 USD and a max of toilets per unit I don't think it is an economic solution to the charter fleet problem but if individuals choose to install them it might put a dent in the problem and could contribute to raising awareness.

As noted above and elsewhere both the availability of working pumpouts and the capacity of sewage treatment to handle the waste have to be addressed.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:41 am    

BVI gov't had no problem taking the sewage off the cruise ships. Granted, the residents still had to tolerate open sewers in RoadTown, but hey, we all know the Cruise Ships Sh*t Don't Stink.

One day one of the locals will figure out that a barge type vessel or two, equipped with pump out equipment could be a moneymaker. Of course, that guy is probably making too much money driving a taxi and has no need to get his hands dirty! Maybe Hodge's gas station in CGB will do it...great location,easy access...just have to create a DEMAND fo the service!
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 am    

HillsideView wrote:

One day one of the locals will figure out that a barge type vessel or two, equipped with pump out equipment could be a moneymaker. !

Last year on our trip to the Pacific Northwest we got this picture. Roche Harbour actually has a boat that does what you actually suggest and the pump out service is free:

Kerry
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject:  Holding tanks

I have heard for a couple years that someone has applied for a mobile pump out trade license, but it sure does seem to be taking its time. We thought about 7 years ago that we were going to get caught in HAVING to put in holding tanks, and installed them on Promenade. We are certainly glad we did, although we have to deal with more mechanical issues then just dumping the stuff overboard.
As has been discussed over and over, it is just not the boats. It is the entire island, and the sewage outlet at Slaney Point you sure know when you are going by it.
Just as a note of interest, I have been seeing more and more spots where the sewage effluent is really causing growth in the water, in some places that I guess the currents carry it. One place that is on my new list of spots to avoid swimming is the south west corner of Benures Bay on Norman Island.
I have also seen a rise in MY ear infections in the last year or two and I recommend thorough cleaning of ears after being in the water, or bringing along plugs of some kind. There are even plugs that you can equalize with while diving now. Just ordered some for my return to the islands in August for the winter.
Someone asked me once for the list of places I avoid swimming, I should really put it up.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 am    

Different manufacturers have different types of holding tanks, some can't even be emptied by a thru hull discharge and can only be pumped.
For example Privilege catamarans often only have 1 tank for 1 head to pass US regs and most often only have 2 on the aft heads. These can only be discharged by changing of valves in the bilge and by use of an electric pump. Done wrongly the return valve can capsize causing the pump to pump and suck, therefore the black water goes nowhere.
Newer Lagoon catamarans have a gravity drop system. You pump the head and a long discharge pipe leads to the tank top at deck level. The black water then drops into the tank and whether it goes into the ocean, or is held, is a simple matter of opening or closing the seacock. (thru-hull)
Some other boats have the tanks down in the keel stub and again have a similar systems to the Privileges for pump out.
All these models also have a deck pumpout facility.
Bottom line is most charter boats here have some sort of holding tanks, whether it be just on one head, or all. There are no pump out facilities, which has already been mentioned and if a boat comes back from charter with a guest that forgets to dump the tank on the last trip back to base, the base inherets a trip back outside to do the dump, or if unnoticed the new guests could get that joy!
1 mobile pump out barge won't be enough for the demand that will come. Every marina, charter company and popular bay should have provision. Of course what an island the size of Tortola would do with all that sewage is a different matter......lets just hope it doesn't just get flushed back out to sea! yikes
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 am    

Benures Bay!!!! Crap (no pun intended), spent a few days there in March. yikes I think it would be great if you posted a no swim list.

I like the idea of the mobile pump out stations but unless there is a requirement to use holding tanks and it is strictly enforced, not quite sure it would work.

Where is Slaney point (I guess I haven't been by it)?
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:13 am    

Slaney Point is hallfway between Sea Cow's Bay and Road Town. Prospect Reef basically resides Northeast of that before Burt Point which is near as damn it where the Royal BVI Yacht Club's premises are and TMM.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 am    

Just a little update on this...

Seems like many charter boats are now being supplied with (smallish) gravity-dump holding tanks.

They are not all that big, perhaps enough to go 2-3 days.

However, that's more than adequate for the average bareboat.

Our SOP is to use the holding tanks anytime we are moored, anchored, or at the dock (though we usually use the shore facility when docked).

After we are well clear of the harbor we then dump them and afterwards pump a good amount of salt-water through to make them as 'fresh' as possible.

One thing... don't dump them while you are sailing dead down-wind! doh hairy greendog Sick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> What the Sh*t? All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use