BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Scrub Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm    

every woman, or man not at the helm (good one, eh Dawn) should read "It's your Boat Too" by Susanne Guzmann

There is a story of a woman watching her husband die as she could not even haul a Mayday on the VHF as she did not know how to find their coordinates.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 pm    

I bought my wife that book!

She and Lisa (a friend) went to a sailing seminar on Saturday. The topic was about getting the boat back from whence you came if the Captain becomes disabled.

I have no doubt that I could single-hand a boat back to the charter base, but the salient question in every Captain's mind should be "Can my spouse get the boat back to base if I become incapacitated?"

Where am I?
Where am I going?
How will I get there?

These things are often taken for granted by a competent captain.
Winterstale
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
don't even get Nina going on that subject. We hired a new cook the first day he called Nina "honey", believe me it was the last time.

laugh laugh laugh Holy faux pas! I barely get away with calling her that -- rofl rofl

I wish I'd been a fly on the way for THAT one!!! I am dying laughing at my desk right now...
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm    

Twanger:

You hit the nail on the head. It is not meant as derogatory, and she knows I call her that and has no problem with it.

She is uneasy when the boat heels and I take that into consideration and do everything I can to keep it flat. That way she will go out with me. You should see us when we go out on my 14 footer, that thing heels even in a light breeze. So when we are out, I make very large circles. Of course when we are done sailing together, then I normally take it out for a quick rail in the water ride.

We are on year 36.

Kent
Winterstale

....and while we're on the subject...the other thing that bugs the living chit out of me are the people who find it necessary to talk about "when the admiral and I are busy....", etc -- really? do I NEED that visual?? Most of the time, I do not....now...when George Clooney joins TTOL and goes sailing, then we can talk. Mr. Green
DawnB

Twanger wrote:
Now Dawn... Rolling Eyes

We don't mean nuthin!

I know. It's when it's used as a derogatory comment that I can't stand it. I was only chuffing you guys... because I can Wink
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 pm    

Bridget, you know what's cool, you can say shit on this board.

even deck fluff should have the ability to motor close to your home base and radio in for docking assistance. You should also know how to call a mayday or pan pan and have your coordinates at hand. Shit happens when sailing and it often happens very fast, everyone needs to keep their wits about them.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm    

That's one reason I like to have man-over-board drills and pretend it was me who went over-board.

Kent
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm    

Some good discussions going on here! clapping
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Note Scrub Island

Hi

This post has drifted quite a way from the OP.

Sorry. Even if we do sail in the VI’s again, it would only be on a mono - a cat is beyond our pay grade and we don’t have a cast of thousands necessary to fill one. Already said all I need to say about “Admiral” on another thread. My wife spends almost the same amount of time at the wheel as I do - except on really long trips across the pond (say Wilson to Cobourg) and while racing. I have a better eye than she has when looking for “lifts”. As to anchoring, you have to anchor as the Committee Boat (once a year) but that’s it. On Lake Ontario, people actually have docks. BTW, the wife has no problem with Admiral - over 50 years of marriage can do that to ya! Very Happy

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Our VI pics are at http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg and the 2012 pics are finally done
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 pm    

With all due derference to Dawn and her abilities to be in command of a boat, most boats are captained by men. If they want to have the female counterpart participate in the sport more than once, they should take into consideration the comfort level of said female before departing on 8' swells and 40 degree heeling over especially if she is a first timer or novice.
More men have screwed themselves out of trip #2 because they did not take into account the fears and trepidations of the females involved. If the woman (Admiral) is not comfortable, back off. Admirals having the last word.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 pm    

One of the reasons why I have the qualifications that I have is because my ex and I had planned to sail off someday. When I first started sailing, I had no interest in any of it except being on vacation, and being somewhere warm. Eventually, I figured that if we were going to be sailing away together, I should learn a few things, just in case something happened to him. So I took basic keelboating (so did the ex, although they were smart enough to put us on different boats for the weekend, that way he couldn't "do" things for me), and that was it.

Knowing that you can do something on your own is an amazing feeling, and knowing what to do was awesome too! I never looked back (probably one of the reasons we aren't together anymore - it was hard to fudge his way through a situation when I know just as much or more than he did!).

I hated taking the helm or trimming the sails while he was on board. I was much better at navigation that he was, so that's where I stayed, until I decided that divorce wasn't going to stop me from pursuing my dreams.

When I first starting sailing, I read the book "Changing Course" by Debra Ann Cantrell - a very good perspective on cruising because your partner wants you to. A must read for all the "Admirals" out there... tonguea
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:18 pm    

Norman wrote:
Some good discussions going on here! clapping

Shhhh! Someone might moderate us! ~LMAO~
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:52 pm    

"when George Clooney joins TTOL and goes sailing"

I'll have to dig out one of my fathers old charter boat brochures. He had George Clooney on a charter in either 85 or 86.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use