BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Surgeon Fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:21 pm    

22 minutes. Dang that's amazing.
After 4 minutes I would be dead.

I was talking to my Seal buddy about free diving, and he was saying that the biggest danger in free-diving is shallow-water black-out.

Hyperventilating reduces the partial pressure of CO2 in your body, suppressing the breathing reflex urge. As you go down to depth your body compresses and raises the partial pressure of oxygen in your blood-stream which fools you into thinking you don't need to breath. Upon return to the surface when you start to get close, the partial pressure of oxygen plummets due to the drop in pressure and you black-out and drown. Typically this happens only about 15 feet down or so.

I don't have the kind of self-control necessary to get the partial pressure of oxygen in my blood-stream all that low, and I'm a big chicken anyway, so I've never pushed it all that far.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_blackout
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use