BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Tarpon!

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Note Tarpon!

This one was yesterday afternoon. It was a 40 pounder - 46 inches long. It took me way into the backing on my fly reel, I got him in close, and then off he went again into the backing line.

A couple of photos:

Last edited by walker on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
palmettores
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Note Reports

Walker,

Those are some great videos you have been posting! You got something special there chasing poons under the birds. I am guessing that it is certain times of year the bait moves up and down the beach like that and draws those fish in? Never saw any birds working when I was there in early spring. We found tarpon but they were in deeper water.

Thanks for sharing your reports!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 am    

I found them chasing bait along the shore from mid-June all the way until mid-September. October is normally the very best month for them, but I got none this year in October. The tropical storm activity kept the water in bad shape for shoreline fishing for the entire month. Conditions are just now coming back to good for tarpon. Unfortunately, I left Anegada on Wednesday (Nov. 7) and will not be back home on Anegada until late December.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 pm    

Great catch and release. What are you shooting that with?

Never fished the BVI, will have to give it a try next time

Kent
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 pm    

Shot with a GoPro on a headband.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm    

That's what I figured it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use