BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Packing Lists

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Packing Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:  Packing Lists

New Forum : Packing Lists
Description : Land-based or Charter-based

I know that this subject has been covered (rather spottily) in the "other" board, but I think it might be useful here as well (especially to us).

Peace
Dugg and Chris
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject:  bring money leave clothes.

bring mosquito spray, money

leave: 5 pairs of wife's shoes, 12 dresses, and whatever else fit in all those heavy bags,

Next time she (and I) will only bring what fits in one backpack.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:  RE: Land-based Packing List

Hi

On a land-based trip, the advice to minimize (use duffels and treat the whole thing as an aquatic back-packing exercise, which - in a way - it is, at least on a monohull) is well taken. We don’t take a lot of back-breaking luggage though (we have to stay inside the airlines’ baggage parameters) but taking prepared food does require a small ice chest for frozen goodies that can be used the first few nights. There is an electric refrigerator at all three locations though. In addition, we can also cook everywhere we stay and, with a car, there’s no provisioning required. There are several good markets on VG, a Bobby’s at CGB, and the Starfish Market at Cruz Bay. (It might be a good idea to provision if we went to Jost or Anegada though.) Of course, there are the usual required wads of “Pictures of the Presidents” and Traveler’s checks.

Equipment:
Small flashlight, extra flashlight batteries, pencils/pens, small binoculars, folding scissors, snorkeling gear, digital camera/polarizer/charger/extra storage chips/manual.
Personal:
Soap, shampoo, styptic pencil, deodorants, manicuring scissors/nail clippers, towels/wash cloths, razor/shaving cream/aftershave.
Paper Goods:
Road Maps of BVI/USVI, Itinerary (airline confirmation numbers/arrival & departure times, phone numbers for cars/destinations), airline tickets/boarding passes, driver’s licence(s), passports, credit cards, trip log/photo log, cigarettes/matches(wooden or book), checkbook, emergency phone #s.
Cooking and Dishwashing: (Especially if you go to Rhymer’s)
Dish towel/cloth, tuffy, butter dish, clothes pins, light weight line.
Soft Goods:
Baggies, zip-locks, paper towels (a few), kleenex, foil, can/bottle opener
Medical: (Safe-Sea due to a jellyfish disaster on a previous trip)
Personal Meds, Topical antibiotic (triple), Personal dental stuff, Vitamins, Blistex, Sunscreen/ Baby Sunscreen, back-up glasses, Band-Aids, Aloe, Insect Repellant, Pseudofed, Safe-Sea and After-Sting.
Extras:
Games (Yahtzee in our case), Paperback books
Baggage:
Soft wheeled suitcase and an associated carry-on bag, backpack, small ice chest
Clothing: (Doesn’t need to be as minimized as on a boat, laundry available on all 3 islands)
Included long pants for both, boat shoes and sandals for both, swimming suits, PJ’s for both, the rest to personal taste.
Food: (Most are in zip-locks or original containers)
Previously prepared food (frozen, in the ice chest), Gluten-free crackers (never seen them on the ‘ilons’), regular crackers, instant coffee, tang/orange-pineapple, sugar, salt/pepper, peanut butter, cheese (shredded and brick), cheese sticks, margarine (frozen, in dish), instant grits, trail mix/gorp, peanuts, dried fruit, Italian Seasonings, garlic powder, Indian dinners (emergency food), minute rice, ready-to-eat bacon, bouillon cubes (small #), nutmeg w/grinder, canned delicacies (smoked oysters this time), hard candy.
Should-have Takens:
A decent ice cube tray, a small ash tray, a sink stopper (for Rhymer’s).

Peace
Dugg and Chris
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:45 am    

I've done very little snorkling, but we're very excited for our first trip to the BVI. We've bit the bullet and had prescription lenses put in our masks, bough snorkles and I guess plan on using The Moorings flippers?

It was recommended to me to wear a "rash guard" to prevent sunburn which sounds like a good idea, but in some of the photos I've seen the folks are also wearing some kind of flotation, a shorty wetsuit or life vest.

Any advice on this topic, and buy the way, what does the Moorings provide for life vests, should I plan on bring our own inflatables, really don't want to pack them though, and of course they wouldn't work for snorkling.

Thanks! Dan.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 pm    

Here’s a link to vest that my wife wears. She’s a good swimmer, but likes the extra level of confidence the vest gives her. The tube on the let side of the vest is used to inflate the vest. When you want to dive, you simply pull up on the top of the tube and release the air. You use the same tube to re-inflate while you are in the water.

http://www.usdivers.com/pages/acc_vest.html

Chuck
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25 pm    

My wife and I wear a sleeveless wetsuit vest. I'll also wear a doo rag to help prevent burning the ol' scalp.

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/LC/PROD/mens-neoprene-tops/666-S125MF

In addition, we always have noodles on board. Great for snorkeling or just floating around.

If you really want a life vest, I would rent rather than bring one.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 pm    

You had a question mark after the Moorings Flippers. Thought I'd comment. I've used the ones that the Moorings had and I've brought my own "shorty" flippers down. I actually prefer the Moorings fins. I like the full-foot style which is what the Moorings provides. The ones that I had bought here at home which are the sport fins have the clip behind the heel and it drove me crazy. Whenever possible, I use the Moorings fins!
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:07 pm    

Cratti,

The Moorings no longer has the full foot fins but instead they now have the clip behind the heel type. I think change was done after the Sunsail merger early last yeat to be consistent with their offering. I prefer the old style too. They did have a couple of the old style laying around in odd sizes when we were there in December but I couldn't make up a pair in my size
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:39 am    

Bummer! Well maybe I'll bring mine down then. I'm so glad you told me that, thank you!
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Note Here is my packing/shopping list

Always provision ourselves at Riteway. 2-4 people.

Shopping list

Aluminum foil
dishwashing soap (check on board, may have)
sponge/scrubbies
matches
charcoal Brix
paper towels,(check on board)
zip lock bags 1 gal/1 qt size (can bring from home if space)
bleach (for the heads)
salt/pepper(look carefully sometimes 2 salts)(check on board)
toilet paper(check on board)
wooden cloths pins

BREAKFAST
cereal
yogurt
fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, lemons, honeydew local?)
breakfast pastries
bagels/crm cheese
juice (orange, pineapple mango)

LUNCH
bread
lunchmeat (ham, turkey, bologna)
canned tuna
cheese, sliced for sandwiches
cheese for snacks ( brie, gouda, smoked)
mustard
mayo
catsup
pickles
potato chips
peanut butter/jam
eggs(hard boiled)

DINNER
steak
chicken
pork chops
chutney
vigo yellow rice
black beans
canned veggies
garlic bread

VEGES
potatoes
lettuce
tomato
onion
peppers
mushrooms
celery
carrots
cucumber

MISC
cookies
nuts
butter
sour cream
coffee
creamer
milk(long life)
salad dressing
crackers
batteries
garbage bags,(kitchen and big)
ammonia (bug bite, jellyfish sting remedy)
spices (bring small ziplocks from home if poss.)
sugar
caribbean sea salt
sunny caribe pepper/hot sauce
Crystal Lite iced tea and lemonade
Soda
Beer
Wine
duct tape

PACKING LIST
BVI 2009

Medicine bag: Tylenol, ibuprofen, antibacterial ointment, benadryl, claritin, Band-Aids, sting-ease, new-skin, ear drops.
Sundries: sewing kit, little alarm clock, toenail clippers, nail file, sun screen, aloe gel, polish remover, polish, topcoat, glasses cleaner, mask de-fogger
Snorkel/dive gear: 2 masks, 2 snorkels, Rita’s fins, 2 pair water shoes, fish identifier, Naui card, log book, wetsuit, wet bag.
Rita’s ditty: shampoo, conditioner, zaran, medications, cetaphil face wash, cetephil cream, body butter, large comb, brush, hair bands, clips,
Misc: books, magazine, paper pad/pencil/pen, cards, document book, passports, tickets, contract, travel ins docs, bimini clips, clothespins, 2 bobs & bob sling, air mattress, laundry stick, LOC, bungees, flashlights/lantern, 2 fans, fishing tackle box, reels, rod, 2 beach towels, airline pillows, headphones
Tim’s list: 5 shorts, 5 tees, 3 tanks, 2 swimsuits, 2 socks, 1 long pant w/zipper shorts, 6 underwear, flip flops, sandals, visor, hat
Rita’s list: 4 shorts, 6 tops, 2 dresses, 1 skirts, 7 unders, 4 bras, 4 swimsuits, 2 capris, 3 flip flops, 2 socks, 2 do-rags, 2 visors, hat jewelry bag, sunglasses (2), reading glasses

Carry on Tim: fishing reels, fishing rod, 1 shorts, 1 tee, 1 underwear, flip flops, bathing suit, sunscreen. snacks, toothbrush/paste

Carry on Rita: tickets/passport,books, magazine, crossword/pencil, 1 shorts, 1 tee, 1bra/under, airline pillow, headphones, socks, hand sanitizer, lotion, toothbrush/paste
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:17 pm    

I managed with just carry-on luggage for a month long trip to the BVI - land based. I purchased liquids (shampoo, conditioner, mousse, (no hairspray - they didn't have any!), sunscreen, a tub of cocoa butter moisturizer, toothpaste, bug repellant, bug killer spray) once I arrived. I did it for a few reasons. One being I always, and I mean ALWAYS overpack and have overweight luggage. So I wanted to see if I could scale way back in my travel needs, like I have in my life in general, and actually live with what I could carry on. Second reason was; taking four flights to get where I was going, with a week-long stop in Arizona on the way (so five weeks in all) I was not willing to take the risk of lost luggage. The more connecting flights, the greater the chance of loss. I was paranoid about that until I made the decision to pack light. Thirdly, with a couple of tight layovers, and the possibility of having to collect my luggage and re-check it, I didn't want that stress of waiting at the carousel. I hate waiting at the carousel as a rule anyway, so it was attractive to me to be able to bypass that hassle.

If you want to read how I did it, I have a couple of posts on my blog dedicated to it. http://sailornot.blogspot.ca/2011/02/what-to-pack-how-to-pack.html and http://sailornot.blogspot.ca/2011/03/field-test-is-success.html

I didn't even use all of the clothing I took!!!
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:20 pm    

We split our order this year between Riteway and Bobby's this year for the first time. (the adult beverages, came from Caribbean Cellars). All orders were delivered to the boat. Bobby's was complete, no subs, nothing left out. Riteway, we had subs and the order was not complete, called them about it and they said they were out of items. We sent them the order about a month before the charter. Some of the items they left out were what we considered essentials, so we had to change our itinerary, so we could resupply, with what we should have received in the first place.

I suppose that we should have done the shopping on our own, but having it delivered to the boat, makes the whole process very simple.

Kent
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Note Carry on

Would love to be able to do that. I had back surgery last year so for now I think checking bags makes more sense. I do not put all of one persons clothes in one bag. I split it up so if one bag goes AWOL it's not a disaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Packing Lists All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use