BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Garmin PreProgrammed vs CD question
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:  Garmin PreProgrammed vs CD question

OK .. We have done the trip a number of times and I know its all line of site and the GPS isn't really needed. But I have a Garmin 176c and MapSource on my PC for jeepin. Thought it would be nice to pic up the charts for BVI and maybe plot our adventure this trip and post some shots up on my website. I came across a preprogrammed version of MUS030R on eBay for a good price. Works great on the GPS unit.

... and now the BUT...

I can't seem to upload/download the maps to my PC using Mapsource. I really wanted to work with it in MapSource. Is this a limitation of the PreProgrammed charts vs the CD version and unlocking regions? If so that just bites.... The message it get is along the lines that no maps are availble on the device, yet I can clearly see them on the device.

Am I missing something or is this by design as I suspect. Any secrets to get around it?

Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:37 am    

You are not missing anything. You just found the downside of the BlueChart chips. MapSource will only download the actual map data to a GPS. It cannot upload it. All it does when it uploads maps is read the identification of the maps contained in the GPS memory.

I suspect that you cannot upload maps from a preprogrammed chip is that then you would be able to copy the data to another GPS.

I advise people to ONLY buy the chip if you are going to be wanting to use the map data in three or more GPS units. Only then does it make much sense. For two or less units, buy the CD.
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:02 pm    

Well now don't that just bite! All but defeats how I wanted to use it. Oh well, Guess I have to look for another way to get maps for the PC side and just overlay the routes, waypoints and tracks.

Thanks Walker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

Terms of Use