BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
island trip

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Question island trip

hello all
i will be taking a 7 day moorings charter on a 43' cat starting on mon. june 19. this is our second time in the bvi. the first time was spent on the "flying cloud" barefoot cruise. i must say that it was thrilling traveling on a tall ship and a good time was had by all.but on that trip a small group of us decided we wanted to see the islands from our own charter. after 2 years of sailing lessons on the san francisco bay we have gathered 4 couples to embark on this journey. we want to visit about 4 islands and spend 1 or 2 nights at each. we would like to visit virgin gorda's baths,jost van dykes whites beach, cooper and norman. my question is, what would be the best order to sail these destinations? my thoughts are cooper, virgin gorda, long sail to jost then on to norman which would, i think leave us an easy reach back to tortola to turn in the cat by noon the last day. this will be followed by 4 days at cane garden bay to debreif and get our land legs back. i came to ask this question here because it seems that all the bvi guru's are in one place. i hope to post some great pics and some tall tales when we return.
thanks in advance for your wisdom ; charles dance
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:14 pm    

I would say you've done your homework.....that would be the most economical route. If you stay in the North Sound on VG, you may want to consider using the Anguilla Passage rather than the the channel through Colquhoun Reef. You'll save some time on your trip to Jost.

Walker has the Waypoints through Anguilla and I used them on my trip this past May.....no problems even though it is rather shallow. I'm not sure I would try it on a deep draft mono, but the cats can handle it......
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Cool island trip again

thanks for info ...
this is a rookie question, but does any one care to give some approximate sailing times for the 4 island tour? i know there are a lot of factors involved but any educated insight would be better than nothing. our count down is now one day!!!!! i cant wait for this last day of work to be over!!!! Cool

thanks again
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:09 pm    

Well it depends on your speed of course. You can use Walker's link “Approximate Sailing Distances, and then guess what your average speed will be to do the math. I would use 8kts average on the cat.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:13 pm    

RumBa wrote:
I would use 8kts average on the cat.
6.5 to 7 kts average would be more like it. Hitting 8 is easy. Averaging 8 is a whole 'nother thing. Expect to see 8's and maybe even a 9. Also expect to see some sub-6 speeds in the lulls. Cats decelerate just like they accelerate - quickly. Get one out of proper trim and your speed will die quickly (especially when going to weather).
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:56 am    

Yeah...I thought about it after I posted and told myslef averaging 8 is probably tough, especially if you're not that familiar with cats. Keeping them properly trimmed is a little more work than a mono, and they are less forgiving when not properly trimmed.

BTW Walker...saw your post on TTOL about Charlie....jeez....what a mess. It's not your fault, but I'm sure you and nacy feel horrible. Wish I was there to help you look for him.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use