BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Wahoo on the shelf?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backe
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:  Wahoo on the shelf?

We are going to spend some time sailing about in the BVIs in January and will be towing some skirted lures as soon as we are off the anchor.
Is there any possibilities to catch Wahoo on the shallows between the Islands or do we need to trick the non fishing part of the crew out on the deepwater edges?

Any tips on where to find anything big that will eat our lures are welcome.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 pm    

You have a fair chance of wahoo on the inside, but you really need to be farther outside near the drop if you are specifically targeting them.
Backe
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 am    

Ok, that is pretty much what I thought. I guess I have to try to alter our sailing routes a little bit. But leaving and arriving to Anegada from Jost v D give a little room to wander north along the drop.

Have made some homemade recipes that I want to try out.

likefish
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:20 pm    

These are beautiful lures. May I ask you how you made them?
We are also planning big sailing trip to Anegada and will be trolling waters on the way.
Thanks
Backe
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:15 am    

Well, flattery is always the way to go.

The heads are made of steel, actually old stumps of rebar which I reshaped in the lathe at work. Iīm sure they will rust over time, but it was cheap. Maybe next time I use stainless.
Skirts you can buy in a store fairly cheap.

The back of the head is cone shaped in two segments so the skirts donīt slide off.

The only hard part in the process was making the hole through the lure head, took me a few tries to work that out, key was to lube the drill.

Then fit the lure with wire and hook. I used 65lbs, but If I could choose I would use a little bit tougher, maybe 100lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use