BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Conch Stew

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Note Conch Stew

Conch stew is a common dish on Anegada. It is very tasty - one of our favorites. In our opinion, Anegada's best conch stew is at The Big Bamboo (Loblolly Bay).

For our recipe, see BVIPirate.com/IslandRecipes/ConchStew.html.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:29 pm    

Looks awesome! I'll have to try this - if I can find Conch here!

Walker, can you link the instructions to the seasoned salt and Adobo criollo?

I don't see them on your recipe page.

Thanks!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:11 pm    

Seasoned salt: We use Morton's "Nature's Seasons"

Adobo criollo: We use "Bohio" - which we bring back from Tortola. You won't find Bohio outside the Caribbean. However, you can find the same or similar thing - look in the Spanish/Caribbean section of your grocery. Almost certain to be there. May be labeled simply "Adobo".

Funny how almost all really good Caribbean food has very simple ingredients. We kept trying to get the sauce right by using various tomato products. Nope - just plain old ketchup. When used sparingly with the sauteed vegetables, it creates a very good sauce. Avoid ketchup with high fructose corn syrup, though - the sauce will be too sweet.

And - if you cannot get conch, this recipe would also be very good with sauteed or boiled shrimp (DON'T pound or pressure cook them!).

We eat a lot of conch - and this may now be our favorite conch recipe. You HAVE to try it at Big Bamboo.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:08 am    

Thanks Walker - I wasn't sure if there were recipes rather than just buying a seasoned salt or adobo.

Yes, I definitely will have to try it at Big Bamboo, next time we are back down island! In the meantime, shrimp it is!

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use