BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Getting there

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:  Getting there

Hello,
I've got one of many questions to come. I'm going to try to take my first trip to the BVI early 6/09. What is the best (cheapest) way to get there from DFW area. I've done some price checking for just that time of year and looks like it will probably cost about 1500.00 for family of three.
Rusty
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:27 pm    

$1500 for 3 from DFW sounds about right.

From DFW, the best way is American Airlines to Beef Island.

The way to save is to go to AA.com's website and use the "Dates Flexible" option. I cannot find a way to beat those prices.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:33 pm    

Thanks. I know I'm going to have alot more questions. But they can wait for now.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 pm    

I'm back for more questions. Do you normally book your boat first or your flights? confused How far out in advance do you need to start putting the wheels in motion? I've read a little on ttol about Provalor, are they good or bad? Thanks, Rusty
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm    

Booking flights depends on the charter. In the past, when we chartered from the Moorings, we let them handle the flights as well. That way, they could coordinate as necessary. They used to have really good fares because they had bought up bulk fares. I don't know if they still do. I have not booked with them in 5 years now.

When sailing, we usually book about 6 months ahead.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:50 pm    

Fisrt charter, very cool, you wil love it!

We always like to "decompress" with landbased accomodations at least a day and our preference is 3-4 days before our charters.

Same thing after the sailing portion, we flew home same day on our first charter and never did that again!

Do see if you have any credit cards that you have accumulated FF miles on.

We just booked June R/T flights for the family of 3 again on FF miles.

Keep an eye out for AA specials, many are getting LAX-STT R/T for about $350/PAX for that time period.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:49 pm    

Well I'm still around and I still have not been to the island yet. But I do have tenitive dates. Looks like we will be traveling down 2-11-11. We will be flying in to EIS and charting a Moorings 4600.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 pm    

Bought my airline tickets today. We will be flying in to STT on AA arriving on 2-11-11 at 3:25pm. I'm hoping to catch a ferry across to Road Town. We are doing the sleep abroad. I would love to hear any input on things going on that week of what we should or should not miss. Our skipper has sailed with Moorings before but, I do not think any of are party as been to the BVI's. We will have Four couples (40-50 year olds) sailing on the Moorings 4600.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:18 pm    

Those of you that use a dry bag for dingy trips. What size do ya'll find works best for you?
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 am    

I carry a 115-liter Seal-Line Boundary Pack for laundry and groceries and a 5-liter Seal-Line See Bag for small electronics (phone, iPod, cameras) in the dinghy and as a watch bag to keep my kit organized going on and off watch.

Norman
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 am    

Rusty wrote:
Bought my airline tickets today. We will be flying in to STT on AA arriving on 2-11-11 at 3:25pm. I'm hoping to catch a ferry across to Road Town. We are doing the sleep abroad. I would love to hear any input on things going on that week of what we should or should not miss. Our skipper has sailed with Moorings before but, I do not think any of are party as been to the BVI's. We will have Four couples (40-50 year olds) sailing on the Moorings 4600.

I'll be there from 2/4-14 getting things warmed up for you.... Mr. Green
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm    

"sleep abroad"

Those are fun!!! As long as the missus don't mind!! yikes
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:22 am    

HillsideView wrote:
"sleep abroad"

Those are fun!!! As long as the missus don't mind!! yikes

Sleep abroad, aboard, as long as I have a place to lay my head down. Everthing else will work its self out.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:37 pm    

Late report but here it is. Had a blast.
Day 1
flew from DFW to MIA, MIA to STT, and took the ferry to Road Town and Taxi to the Moorings. Did the sleep aboard.
Day 2
Did the skipper meeting and boat check out. Rented scuba gear. ladies went and provisioned for food. Got off the dock some time around noon. Sailed across to Norman island and picked up a mooring. We swam and drank while waiting on some friends of our skipper (not a hired capt). He is friends with the capt and first mate of M/V King Calm. An 80' motor yacht. King Calm invited us over for a tour of the boat and rum punch drinks. After two or three drinks we went and partied at the Willie T.
Day 3
After everybody was up and had breakfast. we loaded up the dingies and dinged over to the Indians for a dive. After the dive we sailed to Soper's Hole. Did a little shopping a little more provision,and dump some trash. We then headed to great harbor Jost Van Dyke and set anchor beside King Calm for the night. we ate on the boat. then some of us loaded up to head to Fox's. This was the night of Ivan's 20 yr Anniversary so Fox's was slow. we drank one beer and were there maybe 30 minutes. We decided to go ahead and call it a night. Got back to the dingy and discovered someone stole our kill switch to the dingy.
Day 4
everyone up and ate breakfast, we motored over to white bay. Our skipper gave a crash coarse to scuba to a couple that doesn't dive and took them diving on the reef out in front of Ivan's. The rest of us swam in to Ivan's and just hung out for a bit. After the newbie divers were done we dingy down to the Soggy Dollar Bar and had our first pain killer. walked the the beach and checked out the rest of the places on the beach. We then motored up to Cane Garden Bay. Tried to get water but the pump was broke. ladies went to Bobbies and bought two carts full of beer and food. We then motored up to Guana Island and anchored at white Bay for the night. we dingy to shore and walked the beach.
Day 5
Once again we motored up past Beef Island and stopped at Marina Cay. Topped off our water tanks and dump our trash. Visited Pussers gift shop for souvenirs. From there we continued to motor up to George Dog for lunch and a snorkel. After our snorkel we were finally able to raise the sails and made our way to Anagada. I think it only took us about two hours. Made our way into a pretty full anchorage and set the anchor. Dinged to the dingy dock and walked as far as the purple turtle and back to the beach bar at Potters. Had our first Bushwhackers. Back to the boat and grilled hamburgers and watched the sun set.
Day 6
Sailed to Levreck Bay to check on dinner reservations and to get more beer and ice. Back on the boat we sailed to the baths. We climbed and crawled through the hudge rocks and back the the beach bar for a drink of water and a beer. We walked up the trail to the top of the baths to look oit over the Drakes Channel. Thats an awesome view. Back on the boat we sailed back to levreck bay to have dinner and try and catch beans show but by time we all made it to shore we cought the last 20 min of his show.
Day 7

We raised sail again for Peter Island. We hove to some wheres along the way for lunch. We went south around Peter Island headed for White Bay. Our skipper felt that White Bay looked to rollie. So we decided to head back to the Bight. On the way we past a little cove called Benures Bay that had five or six boats in it. So we pulled in and dropped anchor. The water was crystal clear. We all snorkeled. There were conch every where. Seen some sting rays, a parrot fish, and just a bunch of fish, oh and one shark about four foot long.
Day 8
Left Benures Bay headed to salt Island to go dive the Wreck of the Rhome. That was pretty awesome, my first wreck dive. from there we sailed back to the Moorings so the ladies could have a half day to go shop on Tortola. The guys bought more beer and drank beer on the boat. everybody made use of the moorings showers. Had our finale dinner at Charlies at the moorings base. After dinner we all got packed up for our mid morning flights then just sat in the cockpit drinking and telling stories.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:50 pm    

We are headed back down island Febuary 2012. Started shopping for airline tickets. AA offers a $250 ticket or a $710 ticket for the same seat but different benefits. Why should I buy the expensive ticket verse the cheap ticket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use