BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
May Trip

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Cool May Trip

Hey there friends! I just got back from our latest BVI trip and met some interesting people, went to interesting places and drank lots of rum! I still feel the sway of the boat and haven't had time to get my land legs back. I came home to coolish temps and wish I was back in the islands. Boy, did I ever miss it!
The weather was coolish for the BVI's and the wind was everywhere but there. Mostly in the 5-10 knot range blowing from strange places. There was ground swell that prevented our usual anchorage at Cane Garden Bay (sorry Quito, we sorely missed you this year!), lots of lolly in Marina Cay, and in Cooper Island. However, did experience the Bubbly Pool in Diamond Cay in JVD, jump off the back of the "Willy T", snorkel with a 3' barracuda at the Indians, see Spanish Town, and hike to the Catholic Church (St. Ursula's), watch a soccer match, eat Roti's, see more naked middle-aged butts than I cared to (what's up with that?), laughed at more middle-aged butts, engaged in a dance/German language lesson at the Robb White Bar in Marina Cay, finally see the sun set, watch some beautiful sunrises, do a dingy pub crawl in Gorda Sound, discovered the secret garden at Saba Rock, hike Sandy Cay, Norman Island, JVD, Virgin Gorda, eat at the Top of the Baths, and so many other memories that I can't begin to believe. What an amazing place, the BVIs are!
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:54 am    

Glad to hear you had a good trip. We (me, wife and two girls age 9 and 12) are going on the 20th of this month. This will be our second trip so we'll be going back to some of our favorite spots like the Baths, Sandy Spit, Indians, and North Sound. But you mentioned a couple of places we missed last time in your report. Specifically "Top of the Baths" (wife's request) and the "Bubbly Pool" which I thought the kids would like. I think I can find the restaurant ok, but I haven't been able to find exactly where the Bubbly Pool is. Could you provide some guidance, closest place to anchor for the walk, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Sorry you had to miss Cane Garden Bay, last time we were there we used it as kind of a home base to stay the nights while we did White Bay, Foxy's, Sandy Cay, and Sandy Spit. We went last time May 27 thru the beginning of June and had great weather, plenty of wind, no swells. Did you have problems anywhere else with the ground swell?

Did you have any issues with overcrowding this time of year? We're going a week earlier than last time, but it seemed that several places last time were either closed (out of season) or only marginally operational due to lack of business. No crowding issues and getting moorings was never an issue. Seemed like it did pick up a little after June 1, probably people taking advantage of hurricane season rates. Our last trip, U.S. International travel was WAY down for a couple of years due to Sept. 11, just wondering what its like now.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:48 am    

Wow - I am glad that I am past middle-aged...
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:47 am    

hi, i just got back from the BVI's from a week (4/29-5/07) of bareboating on a Lagoon 380, the "Blue Pearl". great weather, some flucky winds, and great snorkeling, especially at Loblolly Bay. we chartered (6 of us) from the BVI Yacht Charter Co. out of the Inner Harbour Marina in Roadtown. our only negative experience occurred here as we were robbed at the docks by thieves entering our docked boat both at departure and arrival back at the end of the trip. our neighboring boat was also robbeed, even after we had told them of our experience. thieves took cell phones & digital cameras. BVI Yacht Charters was aware of the problem and say they have hired some security.............
go figure, but they only told us of it after we mentioned the fact. other than that, they were a top notch company, our boat was excellent, and they are in fact going to move their fleet across the harbour next to the Moorings soon.
the Anegada anchorage mooring field was almost entirely filled and the island proved to be a great visit. (our first time there)
i wonder if our paths crossed? among the other spots we visited this time were, the Indians, Willy Thorton, Cane Garden Bay - Myetts restaurant (sp), Virgin Gorda/Saba Rock, Cam Bay off Great Camanoe, Sandy Cay, Great Harbour/Peter Is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use