BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Chicken Roti

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Note Chicken Roti

Can anyone tell me how they make the filling for roti? I especially enjoy the chicken and potato roti we have when we're at Trellis Bay waiting for our flight home. Any help is appreciated.
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 am    

This may be a little late but hopefully you'll get it. We make our own cheater version of chicken roti at home and my girlfriend, who loves the roti she's had in the BVI's (i.e at Jolly Roger), sez it tastes every bit as good. Anyhow this is how we make it:

Ingredients you will need:

- couple of large soft white tortillas
- 2 chicken breasts (more if you have company)
- potatoes
- celery
- onion
- frozen peas
- can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 can of milk
- curry powder and dried red chili flakes
- fresh garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper

1. Pan fry chicken breasts in some olive oil and chopped garlic, season with onion powder and salt & pepper. Brown the outside, butterfly and cook inside. Don't over cook. You want it tender and juicy. When it's done cut into cubes and keep warm.

2. While chicken is cooking boil or nuke some cubes of potatoes until fairly soft (but not mashed potato soft). Keep cubes fairly large (i.e 3/4" to 1")

3. Sauté some chopped celery (couple of stalks) and some diced onions (not too much) in some olive oil or butter until celery softens.

4. In a saucepan warm can of cream of chicken soup with about a 1/3 of the can of milk or so added to it (you want to make a fairly thick sauce with this - not too thick but not too thin either). Add more milk if it looks too thick when warmed. Add curry powder, lots of curry powder, then add some more to the soup and add some chili pepper flakes if you want a little heat. Add a little onion powder and pepper if sauce is a bland. Keep trying the sauce until you are comfortable with the curry flavour and spice level (this is your main flavor base for the roti).

5. Combine the cubed chicken and potatoes into the same pan with the celery and onion (want a fairly large pan) and add some of the the curried soup sauce to it when it is warm and flavored as you like it. Add a cup of frozen or fresh green peas also if you have them (adds a little more colour and a nice taste). Stir and warm the combined ingredients and add more sauce if needed.

6. Wrap tortillas in plastic and warm in microwave for 30 seconds or so to soften them up. Place on plates and put filling in the middle and wrap like a burrito. Try to get as much stuffing in there as possible. Serve with rice on the side and add a little extra sauce on top.

I have no idea how roti in the BVI is made and I'm sure they don't use tortillas or cream of chicken soup but the result of this recipe is pretty damn similar in taste.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:14 am    

Great! Thanks Andy! When I get a chance to try it I'll post and let you know how it turned out.

Matt
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 am    

No problem. Glad you got it and I'd like to hear how it turns out. It has become a regular menu item for us at home now and is one of those things that tastes even better when warmed up the next day cause the curry infuses everything with flavour. Very Happy

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use